Mites, depluming mites, lice

Is she broody?

Pretty hen, I don't see anything wrong with her stance either.

I think I'd let her with her flock and see how it goes.
I brought her in and soaked her again. The mites are not gone and may even be worse. I dusted her yesterday and sprayed her with a spray bottle (elector mixed as directed). If really didn't do much and the top of her tail feathers were loaded. I am kicking myself. I should have known this was going to happen with all of this stupid rain and no natural dusting spots. Does Permethrin kill them? I don't care about egg withdrawal, but I am worried any more treatments will make her weaker. She did eat tonight and I gave her eggs. I think she was drinking, but she is trying to fly under the radar with me. If she is worse tomorrow, I am not going to bother her. If she is way worse, I will do the right thing. If she is not, where will I go from here? She has flock recovery in her water, as they all do, since they are all suffering from this.

Mostly white poop can be due to dehydration, so work on getting her drinking. Electrolytes would be good to give.

Do you have Permethrin dust? If you do, then place the dust in a sock. Use the sock like a powder puff and dust her all over. Work the dust down through the feathers all the way to the skin.

If she's still got a bad infestation of external parasites, then yes, this can be the main cause of her becoming so weak. Hopefully you can get rid of the bugs and she'll recover.

Mostly white poop can be due to dehydration, so work on getting her drinking. Electrolytes would be good to give.

Do you have Permethrin dust? If you do, then place the dust in a sock. Use the sock like a powder puff and dust her all over. Work the dust down through the feathers all the way to the skin.

If she's still got a bad infestation of external parasites, then yes, this can be the main cause of her becoming so weak. Hopefully you can get rid of the bugs and she'll recover.
I'm sure the external parasites are the problem and I dusted her earlier. Gett in her to drink is harder. She is very stubborn. I am having trouble forcing her and I don't want to get it into her lungs. I thought she wasn't eating and she basically waits until I leave and then eats some. I thought sour mash would be best and eggs, since it has always been a favorite.

I'm sure the external parasites are the problem and I dusted her earlier. Gett in her to drink is harder. She is very stubborn. I am having trouble forcing her and I don't want to get it into her lungs. I thought she wasn't eating and she basically waits until I leave and then eats some. I thought sour mash would be best and eggs, since it has always been a favorite.
Sounds good, the mash will have some moisture in it. She may be drinking when you aren't looking too. Some hens are just that way.

Hopefully the mites will die off. Re-dust her in 5 day intervals. Also treat whatever housing she's in too.

Is she broody?

Pretty hen, I don't see anything wrong with her stance either.

I think I'd let her with her flock and see how it goes.
I really appreciate your help on this site, Wyorp Rock. Vivien is wandering around in the back yard now. She is not her old self yet, but seems to be coming around. She wanted to sleep in the nest last night again and I just let her do it.
I feel like I get better advice here than I would get from my dog vet (who admittedly doesn't know much about chickens, but is fairly good at treating larger farm animals). You help is so much appreciated and your expertise is so helpful!

I have had so many issues this week! One hen ended up lame and flopping around in what I've determined to be a vitamin B/Riboflavin deficiency (brought on my the mites), another one year old has had two lash eggs and was under the weather, and Vivien still is struggling with the sour crop/vent gleet, but at least she walks around. How long should I give her the suppositories (cut into 3rds)? She has been on them for a week now.

And the crooked foot lame chicken (she seems so off balanced and uses her wings, but eats well and still lays and egg a day-i wish she would deplete herself more) may have this problem for a month? How does her muscles not atrophy? I have given her B12 complex, nutritional yeast, Poultry cell and rooster booster. I'm sure her good tastes disgusting but she still is eating it. I look for signs that she is gettibng better, but I would love to hear from someone about recovery and what it may look like. (This is Gracie in front-healthy and happy). So sad :(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.00.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.00.29 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom