Mites! Ekkk! D:

CheeseLouise

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
I have an issue. My hen has been broody for the past several weeks and has gathered five eggs under her. I have to give her baths often because she has a malformed vent so she is quite clean.... Anywho my mother just called me out to the coop to find thousands of little bugs all over the eggs. We had just cleaned the coop, should we go all out and scrub it down? Any help please? If you need to see what im talking about, say the word and I'll post picutres. Were going to a feed store soon, so we could buy some stuff there for the issue.
EDIT: Its mites! Eekkk! What do I do? I just looked through my buff orpgintion hen Cheese, who is broody, feathers and I saw mites crawling all over her. My mum bought demtious eath, any help for my beloved hen would be appreciated. All of them are infected, and im so worried for them.

You need two things and preferably two people. 1) Ivermectin pour on for cattle (yes, I know you've got chickens - make sure it's the pour on and not the injectable) and 2) a medicine dropper (you can pick one up from your local pharmacy if you don't have one).

You can get the Ivermectin at your local TSC or FFH.

Directions: If you're planning on having her hatch the eggs she's sitting on mark them before you start. If not, pull them out before you start.
Depending on the size of the birds (this is for the standard bird) put one drop under each wing and one on the vent - make sure you get it on the skin. It won't work if you get it on the feathers. For bantams I did just under the wings. The best thing is to wait for them to roost. Have one person hold the bird and one person administer the medication. This will take care of everything - lice, mites, worms, etc.
You only have to do this once.

We had an infestation of lice and after only one treatment they were gone when we checked a couple of days later. Ivermectin also transfers into the eggs so any they lay after you medicate will need to be destroyed. We did this for about 4 weeks just to be on the safe side.

It was also recommended to put natural wood ash (from a woodburning stove) where they dust. Supposedly this is a natural deterrent but my birds weren't impressed. Maybe in the winter when dirt is not so available they'll think differently.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom