Mites, everywhere

I would use the permethrin concentrate and mix for the (0.5%) solution 6.4 oz to a gallon of water and just spray weekly for 3 or 4 weeks. I had some birds that were severely infested. I thought they were just molting but weren't getting their feathers back in when I discovered they were loaded with mites. The first thing I tried was DE. The birds weren't improving and still had mites. I first discovered them in only one coop but eventually found them on birds in another coop. I dusted the birds and the coops with the DE and no improvement after treating them for a couple of weeks. Next I did use some Sevin dust that I had but it was almost gone but it did help but is no longer approved for use on poultry. I did some research and came up with permethrin and have been using it ever since when needed. There are certain times in the year when I have an overload of flies around and in the coops. Permethrin also worked to eliminate flies. I was treating for mites and also had a lot of flies in the coops and the permethrin eliminated them too, to my surprise.

Now we are trying to figure out if we have chicken mites on our patio furniture or rat/spider mites.

We were also thinking of using a uv light inside the nesting coop. Any thoughts?

Beyond grateful for the information. The eggs... how do I get rid of those? Is it just a hatch and then we kill them with the powder?
The thing is no matter what you use, nothing will kill the pests eggs so repeated spraying is necessary as the pests eggs hatch.
View attachment 2557543
We have a mite infection. My husband brought home Cypermethrin. Is this the same as permethrin?

We have had an ongoing problem with mites. On our chickens, yard, coop, kids play structure...

Used diatomaceous earth and prayed the chickens two times a week, gave them a dust bath container with it, sprayed frequently hang-out spots in the yard with D.E., sprayed the inside the coop with D.E..

When that wasn't working as well, we asked the vet and she told us to use permethrin. Which initially helped. So we sprayed the coop with liquid. Used the powder form on the chickens.... still mites.

Tried garlic in the water and food, tried spraying the coop and all areas inside the coop with the soap/oil/water mixture, clean the bedding once a week...

Still mites. They are primarily focused on one chicken (she lays eggs every day). We have 9 hens. All but 1 are laying currently (the one isn't laying but she is old). The chickens free roam the backyard. We have the occasional squirrels and bunnies in the yard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I use 7 dust, I had a mite infestation , I sprinkled 7 dust in the dust bathing areas, in the nest boxes, on the perches, cleaned the coop and sprinkled on the floor, dusted the Roosters since they don't use the dust baths as much as the hens and sprinkled some on the hens I could catch. Repeat 2 weeks later, now I only sprinkle on the dust bathing areas every 3 weeks and sprinkle on the roosts and floor after I clean, I have a large coop and run so I only clean about once a month in the summer and every two weeks in winter. It has helped enormously. Just don't sprinkle any on their food or water. I also use DE at times in their dust bathing areas when it is dry outside. DE doesn't work when wet. If you dust the chickens make sure you get under their wings on their back and around the vent. A little goes a long way. It's so much easier to put it in their dust bath then they do the work for you! Do not get on cats!

Back
Top Bottom