Mites! Help!

Chic_girl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Near Columbus OH
(Hello, I'm new on the forum, but I have been reading for a while.)

Today, I noticed something built up on the feathers under my hen's vents. Closer examination showing that something was
crawling on their feathers!
barnie.gif

I believe it's mites, but I don't know what to do to get rid of them! The feathers are caked with a grey something, and little red mites are everywhere under their vents. I don't think the mites have spread yet, but what do I do?

I have heard about dusting them with something, but what should I do, and how do I go about it? What do I need to do to their house? Will it affect my chickens health?

Any information would be great!! Please help!

I've used DE sprinkled around the run & coop, and dusted the girls with it as a preventative measure against mites and lice. Haven't had any uprisings yet. The 'grey something' you talk about sounds like lice...the millions of eggs can look like cakey dust at the base of the feathers. For treating, use a dusting of Sevin. Check out this link, it should be able to give you a head start on taking care of the bug problem, the quicker you act the more successful you should be. https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-mites.html
Good
luck!

One more thing- My father and I are constructing a new coop for my fowl.

Should I wait until they are completly mite/lice free before moving them, to avoid infecting the new coop?

Quote:
I find Sevin at Menards in the garden section so you would probably be able to find it. Mites can cause chickens to become weak and if left untreated could end up killing them.

Good luck, we have to go through on a regular basis and check and treat as needed, if wild birds can get in by the chickens they can spread it to your chickens too.

Clean the coop, nests, roost, clean everything really well.
Having bought Sevin Dust or Poultry Dust, should be available at the local feed store, have someone help you catch each chicken one at a time.. sprinkle a little insecticide dust under each wing, ON THE VENT AND VENT AREA, and on top of the -- where the tail meets the back... kinda "powder" it and pat it into the area. Do each chicken.. then, let them go and they will give a shake... sprinkle a little in each nesting box.. onto the roost, a little into the "dirt" or sand floor... you can rake it in. All this in a cleaned coop. Repeat the whole thing in 10 days... mite eggs will hatch reinfesting.
One breeder I knew said she put Sevin Dust into a large low container... (like a plastic oil pan).... and then caught each chicken, set them in it, and "splashed" the dust up under them... under their bodies, wings, to the vent area, etc... and then let them go.. they shake the excess off.
DE is nice for some things.. it does not treat or kill mites or worms... might help with cleaning in prevention?
There is pour on Eprinex... a wormer that does not kill all worms, but is supposed to kill mites... I didn't find it all that effective, maybe I didn't use it right. I prefer Garden and Poultry Dust (permethrin) or Sevin Dust, for effectiveness on mites (or lice). (Most feed stores are open on Sundays as well.. so is Home Depot or Lowe's... you might be able to get one or both of those (dust) today).
Mites can make chickens sick and lay less.... I am not sure about -- I guess they could ultimately make them weak and kill them?? Mites are blood suckers.
I always recommend that people use the SEARCH here on BYC... there is a lot of information here.. check the POST date -- more recent information seems better as we all learn as we go along. You could search Mites... and Eprinex... and Sevin Dust... and Poultry Dust... or Treating Mites. You will get a lot of information that way.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi I had a problem with mites but the ones that go under the scale on there legs and feet ,I found that I used Ivomec or another name for it is Ivermectin it is injectable for cattle but for chickens I use 1 drop on the butt near the vent 1 drop on there back down to the skin and some people give them a drop in the mouth which I find alittle hard so I just use external it is very strong and the dropper I use is tiny and it is glass not the kind you would use for kids medicine which is much bigger.or if you can find a syringe like for diabetes insulin . I had to make a small hole in the bottle with a needle to get to the stuff out and wear gloves to protect yourself and I dont eat the eggs for about 30 days .It worked for me and I hate having to use something so strong but mites and lice are a pain to get rid of.and also if they have leg mites I cover there legs in vasaline.I also use DE in the coop and on the chickens becareful not to get in there nose and you should wear a mask , DE not good for the lungs to breathe in..you may have to repeat drop after 2 weeks but keep an eye on your chicks before using again. I have Bantams and they pulled through ok. and be sure to clean the coop I used bleach water not to much bleach and air it out and let dry before letting the chickens back in. good luck
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom