Mites - How do I treat my chicks?

byrd95

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
Milltown, Indiana
I'm starting to think I might have a mite problem with my chicks. I've noticed one of my 8 week olds has a bald on a spot on his lower back. I'm assuming he is pulling out his feathers. I've heard that Ivermectin doesn't work the best as it used to. What would you recommend? I also want to treat my older birds as well. They haven't been around them but I want to treat everyone and get it under control.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think I might have a mite problem with my chicks.

First off, inspect and make sure there's a mite problem. Chicks being itchy or missing feathers doesn't necessarily mean mites.

If possible you want to ID which type of mite you're dealing with. To treat for northern fowl mites: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/northern-fowl-mites.1380288/#post-22681888 . If roost/red mites, you can also use permethrin but need to focus more on treating the coop itself as the mites hide in crevices in the coop.

Yesterday morning I checked on all my chicks and I noticed that my frizzle was missing feathers on his back. So I assumed it was mites. Yesterday evening when I got home from work I noticed he was missing A LOT more and almost naked on his lower back. I then realized the other chick with him was pulling out his feathers. I felt awful after realizing this. I'm assuming maybe she is bored. They're in a kennel in my garage right now. I have not put them outside yet because I am still treating for coccidia. Stool looks normal and they seem healthy now but I'm still worried to put them outside with other birds because I'm scared they'll infect my flock. I've never dealt with coccidia before until I bought from a breeder. Normally I just hatch out my own chicks. My older rooster does have some feathers missing on his neck. He's not the most friendly bird so picking him up is not exactly an option. I am almost positive my older birds have mites. Where do I get this powder? I have the liquid...could I spray them with it? Or could I use the powder where they dust bathe? Sorry for the long message.

Your chicks may need more space.
I am almost positive my older birds have mites.
Almost?
Make sure before you treat.

My Bug Check notes:

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Thank you for this great information! Have you ever treated with permethrin dust or do you only use a spray? Also what would be best to treat the coop with?

Thank you for this great information! Have you ever treated with permethrin dust or do you only use a spray? Also what would be best to treat the coop with?
I've never had mites, but for lice I use the permethrin spray in summer and the dust in winter.
Would do the same for Poultry Mites,
would also spray all cracks and crevices in coop if I had Roost Mites

Since you mentioned the rooster is harder to handle, check the other adults for mites. If one has it, then you can assume they all have it. And of course check the roosts for red mites.

Coccidiosis shouldn't be too tough for healthy adults to deal with. I'd probably put in a preventative dosage of Corid in their water during the introduction period with the chicks, and that should be enough for the adults.

I've never had mites, but for lice I use the permethrin spray in summer and the dust in winter.
Would do the same for Poultry Mites,
would also spray all cracks and crevices in coop if I had Roost Mites
Thank you very much! I will check
Since you mentioned the rooster is harder to handle, check the other adults for mites. If one has it, then you can assume they all have it. And of course check the roosts for red mites.

Coccidiosis shouldn't be too tough for healthy adults to deal with. I'd probably put in a preventative dosage of Corid in their water during the introduction period with the chicks, and that should be enough for the adults.
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom