Mites in the hen house! Help!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is where the mites came from. What is bringing them to the coop? They cannot live without hosts.

Rats, mice, wild birds all bring lice and mites and a lot of diseases. The common clue is what brings them to your coop? Food. Deal with the feed and you will have fewer pests like this.
It’s hard to say where they came from. The chickens free range, and we’re in the woods so it’s hard to keep wild birds away. There’s no food kept in the coop. Feeders are outside, but we secure them at night. Any scratch and food scraps that we give them are put far away from the coop. The coop is also secure at night with no way for rodents or other birds to get in when it’s closed up.

I always sprinkle DE on floor of coop, then a little PDZ then shavings. Nest boxes get DE sprinkle and Straw. Poop board gets PDZ and dusted with DE, DE dusted on roosts too.
Had for 2 years like that and no issue with any bugs/ mites.
I also have the area they do Dust bathing in with a little DE too.
Thanks you reminded me to buy more today for the new coop

I always sprinkle DE on floor of coop, then a little PDZ then shavings. Nest boxes get DE sprinkle and Straw. Poop board gets PDZ and dusted with DE, DE dusted on roosts too.
Had for 2 years like that and no issue with any bugs/ mites.
I also have the area they do Dust bathing in with a little DE too.
Thanks you reminded me to buy more today for the new coop
Did you have bugs before using the DE?

How and where all did you apply the neem oil?
We had the kind used in gardening and diluted it with water according to the instructions on the package, then sprayed that on the roosts, walls, floor, pretty much everywhere but the nest area, and let it dry before letting the birds back in. I did that once a week for a few weeks. Once I was sure the mites were gone I stopped spraying the neem. It’s been a year now and they haven’t been back.

We had the kind used in gardening and diluted it with water according to the instructions on the package, then sprayed that on the roosts, walls, floor, pretty much everywhere but the nest area, and let it dry before letting the birds back in. I did that once a week for a few weeks. Once I was sure the mites were gone I stopped spraying the neem. It’s been a year now and they haven’t been back.
Extremely helpful! I think those same bugs are bugging here, too! Ughhh!:goodpost:But now I have a solid gameplan to tackle them.

I just made a post about tiny poppy seed bugs in my pdz under poop. I found like 5-6 yesterday and checked ladies and saw nothing on them or in the bedding. I used some seven dust and bought some Saturday lime. Did you figure out what they were?

Back
Top Bottom