Mites in the run?

tiffanya

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
The other night I decided to do a check for mites in the coop. I saw what appeared to be gnats and a few red mites on the "poop shelf" under the roosts, but none on the roosts themselves. When looking yesterday they were all still on the shelf, in broad daylight. Now this morning I saw the "mites" on the ground in the run when I moved the waterer. Are these mites or something else? Would they be out during the day? They just look like little red dots crawling around. I've put DE in the coop.

They maybe mites but i'm not sure.
If they are mites then you should give the hut a good clean out and then make some mix 2 part water 1 part vinegar and scrub it down with that. Leave it to dry before re-bedding. This should get rid of them in their and they should go from the pen quite soon after.
hope this helps.
Daisy. xx

I actually just did a full cleaning of the coop a couple weeks ago and mixed DE in with the new bedding it put in. I've read about using Sevin powder as well so may try that. I have the liquid at home put figure that would work to spray in the coop and let dry. I'm just more curious if these are mites. I thought they were only active at night.

Hmm..
They don't ound like mites if you have given them a good clean out and there out during the day. The mites would live on the chickens and you said they weren't any on the chickens.
hmm.png

Sorry i can't help much. Hope someone does.
Daisy. xx

Back
Top Bottom