Mites investing chickens, now me !!! Please help!!

connor97

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Huntington Beach, California
I wasnt aware of my chickens mite problem until I noticed myself getting itchy bug bites everywhere. Eventually I found the mites on my birds and later found those same mites on my sheets brought in from my clothes from the coop.

How do I get rid of the mites in the coop, yard, on the chickens, on and on me safely without harming the chickens or other pets ?

Is sevin dust safe to use ???

Please if any of you have shared a similar expeirence please let me know what you did and what happen Im desperate !

7 dust will kill them, and is probably best if you have a lice infestation too. if its only mites, ivomec seems to work better. i use ivomec pour on (for cattle available at TSC) at a rate of 1/4 cc for bantams 1/2 cc for large birds, and up to 1cc on turkeys.

whatever way you go, clean the pen and change the bedding - straw is not recommended. remember to re-treat them in 7 days for 7 dust and 10 days with ivomec.

mites are a pain to get rid of. i would treat the chickens, bedding, floor of coop, walls of coop, some people even say to mix lime with water and paint the inside of the coop. i would do my best to keep it out of feed and water, but if they get a small amount of it in their mouth they should be fine.

sorry i missed part of the question, i probably wouldnt treat the yard, but i would treat the planter boxes. mites tend to hide in cracks, anywhere there is a place for them to hide i would treat.

Remember that you have to re-treat the birds and the coop every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing the mites. That is their hatch cycle and if you miss any adults at all they cycle just starts again. That is why they are so stinkin' hard to get rid of. I would Sevin dust on the birds, or Poultry Dust found at Tractor Supply or feed stores, and I would spray the coop with liquid Sevin. To me it just seems easier to get the spray into all the nooks and crannies where the bugs hide. I would also mix Sevin or Poultry Dust in with the new bedding each time you treat the coop.

Back
Top Bottom