Mites - I've tried EVERYTHING - Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Colorado Chicken Chick, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Colorado Chicken Chick

Colorado Chicken Chick New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    My rooster Bob has mites in his tail. I have sprayed, I dust him every other day and I keep his condo clean. I've even spray painted his condo to kill them. Nothing works they keep coming back!

The cold won't even kill them, once the sun comes out they are all over his tail again. He also is lame and I have to carry him around and they get all over me.

Anybody have any suggestions!!!
    Thanks!

2. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    What are you dusting him with??

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    They say frontline spray works really well. I hear it's kinda expensive, but worth it.

Have you totally disassembled his condo and washed it out? Those little buggers hide in all the cracks.

4. Colorado Chicken Chick

Oct 30, 2008
    The live stock mite dust I got from the Feed Store, it's for Chickens and gardens.

5. Colorado Chicken Chick

Oct 30, 2008
    Frontline spray? Is that what it's called? Can I get it at a Feed Store.

I haven't taken his whole condo apart, he has a pretty nice place, he's my baby, but I did spray all the cracks with paint hoping that help.

6. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I doubt you can get Frontline at a feed store, unless it's a really good one. Try your local vet, or get online and order it. Also, you might try dusting his house with Diatomaceous Earth, also available online and in better farm stores. Even some health food stores have it.

The frontline is like the same stuff you put on cats and dogs.

7. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    BTW-- why is he lame? Is this due to mites? You can slick his legs up with vaseline to smother the bugs.

8. biggin

biggin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I have found that Adams flea and tick spray works good, and it is alot cheaper than Frontline. And you can pick it up at most feed stores and at walmart.

9. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Biggin do you have any instructions on how to use the Adams like how many times a week or where to spray it.
    Thanks

And Welcome!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Frnt line and Adams sell a arisol bomb type thing (fogger).
    I would use that so you are sure to get in every crevice. Keep the bird out for a day in a cage. treat the bird whil in cage.
    One of my books on chickens says to use 1 part kerosene and 3 parts mineral oil on legs and feet. Make sure you use qtip to get under leg scales.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by