Mites: I've tried EVERYTHING

Where do these mites come from? If you've never had chickens before, build a new structure for them and just get birds from a hatchery, how do you end up with mites? I have them and can't figure this out. Well, "I" don't have them, my chickies do!
smile.png

Other birds wild or ones you visit, environment, on shoes, you can pick them up getting feed at the feed store...just need two to start a coloney :(
Where do these mites come from? If you've never had chickens before, build a new structure for them and just get birds from a hatchery, how do you end up with mites? I have them and can't figure this out. Well, "I" don't have them, my chickies do!
smile.png

I found this article online (really don't know where), but I saved it on my computer. Hope it's helpful, please correct any mis-information! Thanks :)

Picture of mite infestation:

All this said, I am a beginner at keeping chickens and I really want to know what is DE, how do you use garlic and cayenne pepper???

Thanks for the help!
roll.png

i had got 2 hens from some one a wile back and they had mites. this is what i did to get rid of them. get some flea and tick you get for dogs. you place a drop: on the top neck, under each wing, and one under the tail. this worked for me. the next day they where gone. and havent ben back sence.
hope this helps

I don't have any coop mites, but my hens have mites which we are endeavouring to get on top of. But I have hunted my coop and especially the nesting boxes and never found any. Am I correct in thinking the hens mites and the coop mites are different, as are the feet mites?

DE every week even add a bit to food. Idust the entire pen and the dust bath areas and the chickens themselves. Ive not had any mites.

If you're not against using non-natural methods, I would recommend trying Frontline. Frontline Spray is sold for dogs and cats, but I use it for my bantam flock, and it works wonderfully. Just apply one or few drops beneath the vent or under the wing of the chicken using a Q-tip. It kills mites and lice within a day. You have to apply it every month. The only downside is that you can't use it if you are eating the eggs or the meat of the chickens. So, it probably won't work for you, but its just an idea that I'm putting out there.

If you're not against using non-natural methods, I would recommend trying Frontline. Frontline Spray is sold for dogs and cats, but I use it for my bantam flock, and it works wonderfully. Just apply one or few drops beneath the vent or under the wing of the chicken using a Q-tip. It kills mites and lice within a day. You have to apply it every month. The only downside is that you can't use it if you are eating the eggs or the meat of the chickens. So, it probably won't work for you, but its just an idea that I'm putting out there.

Actually, studies have shown that the medicine does not enter the muscle, or organs, but stays in the skin, and feathers, so the meat and eggs are completely safe =)

Back
Top Bottom