Mites: I've tried EVERYTHING

Hello
smile.png
Being that this is my first time around raising my own chickens, I was curious to know more about your method you use in your coop. It sounds interesting and I hadn't heard of using sand verses shavings in their nest boxes and on the coop floor. Nor had I entertained the thought of covered cat litter (nest) boxes, verses wood boxes...Our chicks will be here next Tuesday and our coop is in the process of being built. It is a salt box design, board and bat,will be completely made of wood. I find myself questioning the design after reading the comments in this forum, pertaining to mites. (and them favoring all the cracks and crevices in which they like to hide.) It certainly is easier for them to hide! What sort of cleaning regime do you recommend I start out with to help in being pro active against such pests? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated and thanks for your help in advance!

Mites are probably one of the most difficult pests you will encounter. I know that has certainly been the case here. The trouble is, most of the stuff we use to try to fight them is only effective against mites for about 2 weeks. The sad fact is, you will probably never entirely eliminate the mites but only will be able to manage them - get them to a level that your birds can tolerate.

Number one: treat all the birds with one of the "mectins". And make sure you use an appropriate dose. In most cases, "a couple of drops" isn't going to do it. Poultry/birds requires a much higher dose than mammals because their system metabolizes things differently. I recommend Cydectin (Moxidectin). It is broader spectrum than Ivermectin, safer, and longer lasting - although it is still only effective against mites for 2 weeks - as are any of the 'mectins'. Also, no resistance is being shown to Moxidectin so far. Second choice would be Eprinex (Eprinomex.) I prefer the "pour on" method. That way I'm sure all the birds are getting an appropriate dose. Dosage of Cydectin (cattle pour on) is 1/2 a cc per kg, applied to the skin on the back of the neck.

To get on top of mites, the birds must be retreated within 4 to 7 days. And then monthly thereafter during "mite" season. (Just like we would do with our dogs and cats.)

I also find Frontline (Fipronil) to be effective. It also has a repellent action as well so I use it on any bird that I see with mite activity. 10 drops. Make sure it gets on the skin. Back of the neck, under the wings, bum area, and even on the head with Silkies.

It is also EXTREMELY important to keep your nesting boxes and coop clean. Permethrin/pyrethrin sprays help, Sevin dust, and/or sulphur dust. I find DE to be a complete waste of time at best and a respiratory hazard at worst so I don't bother with that any more. Sulphur garden dust is also great for their dusting areas and nesting boxes. Resistance is also being shown to permethrins and pyrethrins so you'll have to see if it helps in your situation. Using sand very likely makes things worse as sand is an ideal habitat for mites. There are lots of other issues with sand as well but I won't get into that here.

Broodies seem to be mite magnets. It is extremely important to get mites under control with broodies prior to the hatch. I bathe all my broodies with a dog/cat medicated flea/tick shampoo prior to letting them sit. Preferably one with a residual action like Adams. Then I treat them with Cydectin. I treat them again just prior to hatch. I also spray (permethrin/pyrethrin) and dust (sulphur powder) their nests.

The boys also seem to be more prone to mites than the ladies - perhaps because they don't dust bathe with the same enthusiasm. So make sure to pay special attention to your male birds.

NONE of this stuff has been officially tested on birds so most of this advice is anecdotal and based on label recommendations for mammals.

And remember, whatever you do, you are probably going to have to do it again sooner than you think! Mites are all around us and just waiting to repopulate our birds, so it seems.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Every time I change the straw in the nest boxes I add a generous amount of DE on the straw, as the hens arrange the nesting material to lay, they disperse the DE onto themselves and into all the crevices. I also dust their perches and all ledges in the coop. If I find a hen is carrying mites, she gets a generous dusting especially around her vent and this has kept the mites under control.

I went online and bought cedarcides cedar oil fogger!! Worked beautifully!!! I used cedar and pine shavings only in the nest boxes all else was bare till I knew they were gone.

www.cedarcide.com.. Fpgg the whole coop , outside underneath. I also put some in a spray bottle and soaked any cracks inside the coop. Remember to air the coop out then they can go back in. Treat the birds with de dusting, natural spray. I use Sentry's natural flea spray with a q-tip to rub some of the spray on the birds heads every week.

I agree with the sulphur remedy, I have used it for years. Buy flowers of sulphur at the feed store, turn your hens upside down ,hold them with one hand and shake the dust up under their feathers to the skin. I also get petroleum jelly and mix the sulphur in some of that and put it all over their legs...this stops leg mites, the leg mites lift the scales on their legs and live in there. I also lift any boards in the hen house and dust the sulphur under there as well. I do whitewash my hen houses every few years and that does help as well.

Try rubbing the diatomaceous earth into the chickens feathers by hand. I got a chicken with really bad mites and I rubbed it on him and they disappeared very quickly. Also try changing the bedding and sprinkling it in the coop when you put it on the chickens. I also found out that if your animal or you have internal parasites that you can put 2 Tbs. of Diatomaceous earth in your favorite beverage it will kill the parasites!
thumbsup.gif
Who new!

Does anyone know if tractor supply has the yellow sulphur?
I haven't seen mites but I also haven't looked very hard for them either, but I definitely will tomorrow.
It's possible my girls are going thru their first molt too. Some, not all, have some feathers missing on their butts so I am suspecting a mite problem. I don't see a whole lot of scratching though.

I used a steam cleaner on the coop. I didn't treat the chickens but I caught the problem at the beginning so don't know how it would work in a long term battle.

I would be VERY reluctant to use cedar shavings with chickens. The aromatic properties of cedar irritate their lungs which can cause problems later in life and make them more susceptible to respiratory infections.

Back
Top Bottom