Mites? Lice? Help

Sricher91

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
We just got a roo from a family friend. They have a backyard flock in a decent size coop/run. All the chickens looked decently healthy when I went to pick this guy up.

He had a messy bum and feathers missing from his chest. We have him quarantined in our garage in an XL dog crate. He’s eating/drinking fine. I brought him in today (we’ve had him 3 days) to give him a bath/blow dry. We have a house chicken so I locked her in a different room while I did what I had to do with him. I let him walk around for about 45 min after his bath so he could completely dry.

Well I was just watching TV (he’s been back in the garage for about an hour), and felt a bug crawling on me. When I googled it looks like it might be poultry lice? What do you think? If so what do I do for this? I’ve been some powder stuff on him as a precaution (from the lady at tractor supply) that’s suppose to call mites. It starts with D and the second word is earth.

I’m also worried about my house chicken. We let her back in the room once we put him back outside. Is she going to catch it now too? Is this hard to get rid of? Please tell me what to do I can go to tractor supply tomorrow if need be.

Pic of bug:

Attachments

• 4F66069B-AB2A-4A18-AEAA-3E89ED1530E8.jpeg
    4F66069B-AB2A-4A18-AEAA-3E89ED1530E8.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 22
Sorry for typos - I have a sleep kiddo on me. Also they were getting rid of him due to their older rooster picking on him - so I just figured that that’s what the missing feathers was caused from. Now I’m not so sure.

Diatomacious Earth or DE... is ineffective in my experience. I also don't like powders as they tend to make a big cloud every time the bird shakes out.

I suggest a permethrin based spray. Like...
TE006407

It comes in other brand names and concentrations... but a ready to use one will last a VERY long time with so few birds.

It is labeled for use in chickens, requires no egg withdrawal, is safe, effective, and affordable at under $8. Just a small spritz under each wing pit, just below the vent, and at the very base of the back of the head... making sure feathers are parted and it hits the skin. Yes treat your other bird at the same time.

Please know that lice or mites doesn't mean unhealthy chickens. I mean it CAN. But my birds have access to outdoors along with all the other wild animals.

Chest feathers are more likely antics from the other. But feel free to post pics if you want. The messy bum feathers are often a sign of lice or mites. The spray I suggested will work on both.

Here is good resource..
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

Good luck!

@EggSighted4Life told you every thing almost i clean out the coops bedding and burn the straw i also prefer the powder, then i powder the new bedding, the birds and add it to their dust bathing area so they can fluff it up all over them. if i cant get to the feedstore and the birds look uncofterable i take sand and use my hands to rub it all over them.

You have been given good advice. After cleaning out the coop, I would spray the permethrin spray inside very well, inside and out side of the nest boxes, on and under the roosts, every crack and crevice where (if you have mites) they may hide, spray the floors, ceiling and walls. I have bathed my birds with flea shampoo and it helped, it got rid of most of the critters but not all, but I had a pretty sever infestation when I realized the birds weren't just molting. Good luck...
This is what I use. It's concentrated and I mix it with water.
PermethrinSpraySm.jpg

We just got a roo from a family friend. They have a backyard flock in a decent size coop/run. All the chickens looked decently healthy when I went to pick this guy up.

He had a messy bum and feathers missing from his chest. We have him quarantined in our garage in an XL dog crate. He’s eating/drinking fine. I brought him in today (we’ve had him 3 days) to give him a bath/blow dry. We have a house chicken so I locked her in a different room while I did what I had to do with him. I let him walk around for about 45 min after his bath so he could completely dry.

Well I was just watching TV (he’s been back in the garage for about an hour), and felt a bug crawling on me. When I googled it looks like it might be poultry lice? What do you think? If so what do I do for this? I’ve been some powder stuff on him as a precaution (from the lady at tractor supply) that’s suppose to call mites. It starts with D and the second word is earth.

I’m also worried about my house chicken. We let her back in the room once we put him back outside. Is she going to catch it now too? Is this hard to get rid of? Please tell me what to do I can go to tractor supply tomorrow if need be.

Pic of bug:
:sick:sick did u get them thing off ur chicken? she feel good if u kill them things i use powders from store my moms buy it for me my chicken dont like to be powedered but it kill them bugs

That is a louse, the others are spot on about how to get rid of them but that is what it is.
Your house chicken should be fine, bird lice aren't as speedy as human lice so doubtful many jumped off.
Ugh, nasty little things that roo will be much happier with them gone.

Back
Top Bottom