Mites, Lice, or Early Molt?

A lot of chickens will roost on the highest spot possible :)

Yes, we just didn’t consider that they would go all the way up there!

And do you see the pic of the inside??? One of our little Rhode Island 3 month chicks is roosting higher up than all of our 8 month hens! The older hens chase them around outside during the day...not sure why they let them roost higher in the coop!?!?

Might need to block off the rafters in run, tack chicken wire to bottoms of rafters.
Looks like you did that inside to coop too?

Might need to block off the rafters in run, tack chicken wire to bottoms of rafters.
Looks like you did that inside to coop too?

My husband put the netting up near the ceiling (I guess he tacked it to the 2x4s or whatever is up there) to keep the girls away from the nails. He ran out of it though so he just bent the nails down in the middle part. He is planning on getting more tomorrow and putting all across the top under those rafters in the run to prevent them from roosting out there. We figured it didn’t matter to us if they roosted up there in the coop...?

They get about 2 tbsp of worms each a day since that’s what the package said.
You mean 2 TBS each bird or for all of them? Don't forget the package will generally suggest the highest possible amount that should be fed... as their intent is to sell worms.
They didn’t seem to take any when I had it on the side.
That already got answered correctly... their is enough calcium in the layer feed already... so only those who need extra will take it on the side... this can vary by day or season and individual.

Adding even more than what is already in layer (often 4-5%)... can cause issues... like gout or kidney failure... doesn't mean it will+, most likely in those who are predisposed genetically... or fed excess treats.

Incidentally the excess treats *CAN* (again, doesn't mean will) cause fatty liver type stuff.

Your coop looks lovely btw. :)

You mean 2 TBS each bird or for all of them? Don't forget the package will generally suggest the highest possible amount that should be fed... as their intent is to sell worms.

2 tbsp each bird. I actually just dump a bunch in there. I guess I’ll slow down on that!

That already got answered correctly... their is enough calcium in the layer feed already... so only those who need extra will take it on the side... this can vary by day or season and individual.

Adding even more than what is already in layer (often 4-5%)... can cause issues... like gout or kidney failure... doesn't mean it will+, most likely in those who are predisposed genetically... or fed excess treats.

Yikes! I’ll stop doing that
Incidentally the excess treats *CAN* (again, doesn't mean will) cause fatty liver type stuff.

Thank you! I’ll start giving them less worms! And shells on the side! I didn’t realize all that was so bad!

You are VERY receptive to information. :highfive:

Your flock is in good hands. :thumbsup

Well this is my first flock and I want to make sure I’m doing it right! We’ve had enough issues from the crappy TSC coop, to birds not roosting, to birds climbing the tree and flying out of the fence, to jumping on the coop roof and escaping! I don’t want to cause any more issues that can be prevented!!!

Back
Top Bottom