We all like going as natural as we can with our birds, however, there are times that is not possible, but you can choose the best of all the options available.

While both of these are insecticides, they contain permethrin, which is a safer option. Get a tub, pour it in, set the bird in it, and use your hands to scoop a little at a time, all over the bird, EXCEPT THE HEAD AREA. I put a little bit on my fingers, and work my fingers around on their combs, wattles, ears, and top of their heads, being careful not to get it into their eyes, or noses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7C4VLK/?tag=backy-20
OR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MZGF2E/?tag=backy-20

Next, using the liquid form of permethrin, I mix up a 2 gallon sprayer full, remove birds, waterers, feeders, etc., then spray all wood in the coop. Remove nesting material, and spray the nest boxes. Get all nooks, and crannies. Let dry, then put the birds, feeders, waterers, fresh nesting material, etc. back in.

REPEAT in 7 days. Do NOT forget to repeat in exactly 7 days. This does not kill the eggs, which will be hatching, so it's important to repeat the process.

We all like going as natural as we can with our birds, however, there are times that is not possible, but you can choose the best of all the options available.

While both of these are insecticides, they contain permethrin, which is a safer option. Get a tub, pour it in, set the bird in it, and use your hands to scoop a little at a time, all over the bird, EXCEPT THE HEAD AREA. I put a little bit on my fingers, and work my fingers around on their combs, wattles, ears, and top of their heads, being careful not to get it into their eyes, or noses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7C4VLK/?tag=backy-20
OR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MZGF2E/?tag=backy-20

Next, using the liquid form of permethrin, I mix up a 2 gallon sprayer full, remove birds, waterers, feeders, etc., then spray all wood in the coop. Get all nooks, and crannies. Let dry, then put the birds, feeders, waterers, etc. back in.

REPEAT in 7 days. Do NOT forget to repeat in exactly 7 days. This does not kill the eggs, which will be hatching, so it's important to repeat the process.
Okay, I REALLY like that there’s a dust I could use on them as well! And it’s something you’ve had experience with?

Either dust the chickens, or use the correctly mixed liquid, but don't do both. Yes, I dust my chickens, and spray everything else, except their feeders, and waterers. I have personally used these products. My feed store carries them.
Correct, one method of direct to bird application as well as coop treatment. I never knew mites were so awful and difficult, I was so lucky the first several years to have no issues like this!

Wild birds can have, and transmit them. Depending on your conditions, you may go another several years, and not be bothered by them.

Here in Central Florida, it's a fairly common issue. We have a LOT of wild birds year round, in addition to the ones that migrate here during the winter, and not much cold to speak of, to kill off the mites.

I agree. I live in Florida too. I had a severe infestation last year and the birds were loosing a lot of feathers which I thought was due to molting but upon closer inspection discovered the mites. I treated the coop weekly for awhile with permethrin because it does not kill the mite eggs. Permethrin works and there is no egg withdrawal. If you have a TSC you can get the dust, premixed spray and the concentrate. I use the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and spray inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. I buy the concentrate but I have a lot of coops so I mix it in a gallon sprayer and the wand helps me to reach the hard to reach areas. For smaller places the premixed spray is good. It took awhile for the birds feathers to come back in, but they are beautiful again. Good luck...

I agree. I live in Florida too. I had a severe infestation last year and the birds were loosing a lot of feathers which I thought was due to molting but upon closer inspection discovered the mites. I treated the coop weekly for awhile with permethrin because it does not kill the mite eggs. Permethrin works and there is no egg withdrawal. If you have a TSC you can get the dust, premixed spray and the concentrate. I use the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and spray inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. I buy the concentrate but I have a lot of coops so I mix it in a gallon sprayer and the wand helps me to reach the hard to reach areas. For smaller places the premixed spray is good. It took awhile for the birds feathers to come back in, but they are beautiful again. Good luck...
Thank you so much, I’m hoping all of the advice here will help me get things a little better!

Back
Top Bottom