Mites on outside of coop/shed

Jchandler

Hatching
Apr 30, 2020
We built a shed and most of the shed is chicken coop. We have 4 chickens. Starting in September I noticed mites. Cleaned the coop and bathed the girls. Did that weekly for a month, plus used DE. I’m using permethrin now and the smallest gray mites are gone but now we have the larger reddish mites still lingering.
I’ve now noticed them on the outside wall of the shed. Literally the wall of the shed that is outside! Any suggestions. I’m almost positive they are mites, but they are out during the day outside?!?! Help!!

hello @Jchandler - welcome to BYC :frow

If your shed is made of wood it will be nigh impossible to get rid of all mites, and if your birds free range they will probably pick some again soon, so if you don't want to expose your flock to chemical pesticides frequently, management is the aim rather than elimination. The red ones squash very easily, so anytime you see some inside or outside you can just squash them with your thumb. If it's a bad infestation, a good wash and scrub will remove most of them; those hiding in the cracks and crevices usually escape that though. That's where to apply the DE. It's not uncommon to find the red mites wandering around on the outside walls in daylight BTW.

I’m almost positive they are mites, but they are out during the day outside?!?!
Hard to know for sure without pics, which can be hard to get good ones.
There are lots of different kinds of mites, most are no problem for poultry.

Are they on the birds or inside the coop?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Jchandler
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604923001212.png

:welcome :frow I agree with @aart I have seen some mite looking things on the outside of my coops too but nothing on the birds. I check them over during the day and at night after they roose with a headlamp so I have both of my hands free. Nothing on the birds. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom