Mites on Peacock

Julieanna1

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I have a friend that has a peacock that has chosen him as his owner, and claimed his backyard and tree to sleep in, for the last 2 years. He feeds him cat food, cracked corn, grapes and peanuts, and he has fresh water. He eats twice a day, morning and nightfall. My question is, he will eat peanuts out of our hands, but you cannot pet him, or get close to him. When he first got there, he had ropes around both of his ankles. Really? Would someone tie up a bird? Anyway, one of them finally came off, and the other one is still there. We would love to take it off for him. He is so skittish, poor thing. Okay, all that being said, I am pretty sure he has mites. This product you say to get, we can surely get. The problem is, we can't touch him at all to help him with the problem. Is there anything to put in his food? Thanks in advance. He has become a beautiful part of our family. He fanned for us last year...beautiful, just beautiful. Of course now, he is honking for a mate...poor thing! lol Advice welcome. Julie

I have a friend that has a peacock that has chosen him as his owner, and claimed his backyard and tree to sleep in, for the last 2 years. He feeds him cat food, cracked corn, grapes and peanuts, and he has fresh water. He eats twice a day, morning and nightfall. My question is, he will eat peanuts out of our hands, but you cannot pet him, or get close to him. When he first got there, he had ropes around both of his ankles. Really? Would someone tie up a bird? Anyway, one of them finally came off, and the other one is still there. We would love to take it off for him. He is so skittish, poor thing. Okay, all that being said, I am pretty sure he has mites. This product you say to get, we can surely get. The problem is, we can't touch him at all to help him with the problem. Is there anything to put in his food? Thanks in advance. He has become a beautiful part of our family. He fanned for us last year...beautiful, just beautiful. Of course now, he is honking for a mate...poor thing! lol Advice welcome. Julie
You could buy some 1% injectable ivermectin, inject it into a grape and feed him that. Injectable ivermectin can be fed orally and the dose you would want to give him is .02-.04ml per kg (2.2 pounds). Peacocks weigh 4-6kg, so that would be .08ml to .16ml if he's smaller or .12ml to .24ml if he's bigger. Ivermectin is pretty safe, so you could probably give him the bigger dose.

Double check my math... the dose range you want is .2mg to .4mg per kg and there are 10mg in 1ml of the injectable.

-Kathy

You could buy some 1% injectable ivermectin, inject it into a grape and feed him that. Injectable ivermectin can be fed orally and the dose you would want to give him is .02-.04ml per kg (2.2 pounds). Peacocks weigh 4-6kg, so that would be .08ml to .16ml if he's smaller or .12ml to .24ml if he's bigger. Ivermectin is pretty safe, so you could probably give him the bigger dose.

Double check my math... the dose range you want is .2mg to .4mg per kg and there are 10mg in 1ml of the injectable.

-Kathy

The smallest ivermectin we can get at TSC costs $56.00, if I remember right? That is a lot for someone to spend when there is only 1 bird to treat, the remainder must be refridgerated and it will expire after about 2 years and I doubt they would use anywhere near all of it in 2 years. Do you know if it comes in any smaller sizes Kathy?

If you cannot find the ivermectin in a smaller size, I would suggest using a poultry or sevin dust(yes the same stuff you use on garden veggies to kill the bugs). Most Peacocks will dust bath at least once a day if they can find dry dirt or sand or mulch. We have sprinkled a generous helping of sevin into their favorite dusting holes and stirred it around a little, then they will dust themselves with the sevin next time. Works great for us and no stress for the bird. I do hope the other rope falls off, that would worry me.

Maybe the cheapest way would be to buy a tube of ivermectin horse paste, that would be pretty easy to hide in a piece of food. The paste is 1.87% (18.7 mg per gram). I'll get my gram scale out, weigh some paste and provide everyone with exact dosing info.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The smallest ivermectin we can get at TSC costs $56.00, if I remember right? That is a lot for someone to spend when there is only 1 bird to treat, the remainder must be refridgerated and it will expire after about 2 years and I doubt they would use anywhere near all of it in 2 years. Do you know if it comes in any smaller sizes Kathy?
Ivermectin can last for years past the experation date. All companies have to put a date on the product by law. Some meds can last for 15-30 years after the experation, use by or best by dates. All you have to do is google it LOL. The date just means that the maker will guarantee the product up to that year, but not after. I use pour on for cattle and I inject it into a grape if needed. Never had a problem doing it that way and you can get a smaller bottle
wink.png

Last edited:
Ivermectin can last for years past the experation date. All companies have to put a date on the product by law. Some meds can last for 15-30 years after the experation, use by or best by dates. All you have to do is google it LOL. The date just means that the maker will guarantee the product up to that year, but not after. I use pour on for cattle and I inject it into a grape if needed. Never had a problem doing it that way and you can get a smaller bottle
wink.png

I don't need to google it. Medications have an expiration date because that is how long the company guarantees them to be effective by a certain percentage. Say, 98% effective for 2 years, after that the efficacy decreases with each year that goes by until you might as well just pour water on them. Same goes for a rabies vaccine for your pet, after 1yr. or 3 yrs. the titer level starts to drop, they still have some protection from it, but I wouldn't want to bet their life that it was enough. LOL.

Maybe the cheapest way would be to buy a tube of ivermectin horse paste, that would be pretty easy to hide in a piece of food. The paste is 1.87% (18.7 mg per gram). I'll get my gram scale out, weigh some paste and provide everyone with exact dosing info.

-Kathy
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom