Mites on top of chicken feathers? Hen not doing well

It's about 27 ounces of Captain Jack's concentrate to 101 ounces of water.
Okay thanks, that’s about what I did. There are less mites than before so maybe it’s helping. I’ll spray her again tomorrow since it’s supposed to be warm. We’ll see what happens. Like I said I’m more worried how thin she is. She left the run and went out into my yard, I was thinking she was going to forage but she got out and laid down. I was worried about vultures/hawks so I got her and put her back in the coop for the night. I don’t know how to get her to gain more weight when she isn’t eating as much.

@MixedFlock23 you suggested a dewormer, which I am going to do for my hen and the rest of the flock (because why not give it a try and also be preventative for the rest), and you said safeguard for horses. How did you do the dosing? A pea sized amount, but how often?

@MixedFlock23 you suggested a dewormer, which I am going to do for my hen and the rest of the flock (because why not give it a try and also be preventative for the rest), and you said safeguard for horses. How did you do the dosing? A pea sized amount, but how often?
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is .23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This will take care of most worms that chickens have except for tapeworms.

"Pea Size" is old information. It's given by weight.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is .23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This will take care of most worms that chickens have except for tapeworms.

"Pea Size" is old information. It's given by weight.
Gotcha, thank you for clarifying. I’m going to go out tomorrow and get some. I just can’t understand why she is so thin and yet is eating a decent bit each day. I thought it was just because of the mites (not that they aren’t an issue and can’t kill a chicken, but it’s still odd). Hopefully this will help, plus it can hurt for my other chickens to get dewormed too, not sure if the ones I inherited ever were before

I will try that. I was giving her cat food that was tuna and she was eating it okay, she has pretty much stopped eating any of it but a few pecks
I never thought chickens as finicky but when they are sick it is hard to find things they like and the same things dont interest them enough sometimes to eat

Back
Top Bottom