Mites or lice, something else?

Grace Doodle

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
Hi

I think I am dealing with Mites and Lice and this has perhaps caused an infected prenial gland.

I have 3 chickens looking a bit rough, pictures of 2 here.
Only one has it really bad and it's mainly around the prenial gland. So I assume the glands now infected/ has been irritated due to over preening.
The other two are around the neck / head.

I am doing treatment for mites. DE regaulr clean and disinfect of coop and treatment in water.

I spotted mites in the coop a few months ago and I can't see any in the coop or on the birds anymore and I do have a rooster so feather loss. Around the head and back does happen but never to this extent.

I am happy to do treatments just wanted to see if everyone agrees this would be motes or if there are any other ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_080713.jpg
    IMG_20211203_080713.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211203_080637.jpg
    IMG_20211203_080637.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211203_080633.jpg
    IMG_20211203_080633.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20211203_080553.jpg
    IMG_20211203_080553.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 24
Watch this video. It is amazing! I did this when I had mites/live in my flock, and it was one treatment and they are done! It kills eggs too, so you only have to treat them once! It really is great!

It look like she is molting, maybe she hasn't mites. Have you seen little lices on her skin, or maybe their grey eggs under her wings?
You could treat mites or lices with permethrine, that is an excellent remedy for this.

Watch this video. It is amazing! I did this when I had mites/live in my flock, and it was one treatment and they are done! It kills eggs too, so you only have to treat them once! It really is great!
That's good. I'll try and find some as I'm in the UK it looks a bit harder to find!
I am just worried there is something else going on and it's not just mites.

That's good. I'll try and find some as I'm in the UK it looks a bit harder to find!
I am just worried there is something else going on and it's not just mites.
Here is a link to it, I’m not sure if it ships to the UK or not, but it’s worth a shot!

:welcome :frow This is not necessarily true according to the fact sheet for Elector PSP.

ElectorPSP.jpg

Originally I tried DE and it didn't work for me. Some people swear by it and if it works for them that is good but I had no luck with it. Personally I use Permethrin and it way less expensive than Elector PSP and works. It does require 3 or 4 weekly treatments because it does not kill the pests eggs but will as they hatch out and also there is no egg withdrawal period. You can use garden dust. Many of the dusts contain permethrin. Not sure what is available in the UK but I'm pretty sure Elector PSP isn't available there. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom