1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites or molt or overbreeding?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by quackydoodle, Sep 25, 2014.

1. quackydoodle

quackydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    This is my "Colombian Wyandotte". She looks nothing like a colimbian, however, ha ha. She's less than a year old. She has a bald spot on her crop. She's acting and laying completely normal. She's not acting any itchier than any of my other hens. I don't know if that black spot is dirt in her follicle or what. She was kept with twice as many roosters as hens, so the other hens I got have bare backs. She's the only one with a bald front, though. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is odd.. Is/was she broody? Have you checked her over for mites/skin irritations, etc?

3. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    I agree, it is odd for them to only lose feathers on the front. It does seem to be regrowing, there are a lot of pin feathers there. Have the other birds been picking on her at all?

4. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    I also have a hen with a bald crop, it was feather picking in my case. She's molting now so the feathers are growing back but she's been bald since spring. I would suggest putting some anti-pick spray on her. Those pin feathers are mighty tempting for feather pickers!

5. quackydoodle

quackydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    To update- it was a molt that started at her crop, then her head, then spread like normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by