1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites - please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanChickenMama, Mar 13, 2009.

1. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Hi there,
    My girls haven't been laying very well recently and 1 has been coughing. I inspected them all today and noticed that 1 has really bad mites around her vent.

Can you please tell me the best way to treat this?

Bath?
    Dieat...(spelling please!) Earth?
    Petroleum Jelly?
    All of the above???

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I would get a spray bottle of Poultry Spray at the farm store. For me it's the easiest way.

Good Luck.

3. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

Dusting your flock, their coop, their nests and nesting boxes, etc with diatomaceous earth is a good and natural treatment.
    Treating them with Sevin dust is a not-so-natural but effective treatment.
    After treating your flock and surrounding areas, keep treating every other week or every month, by just dusting their nesting boxes and coop with DE or Sevin dust.
    Make sure you get the dust under their wings and near their vent area.

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I think DE is more of a preventative. For an active lice problem I would do Sevin dust or Poultry Spray. JMHO.

5. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks everyone! I'll go to the store first thing tomorrow - all the stores will be closed by now - and look for a poultry spray as well as diatomaceous earth for further precautions.

I read something about a flea bath and was interested in this one because I have a dog and cat flea bath under the sink, but I'm worried that she'd get too chilled. Its been getting into the 20s at night still.

6. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:That would work! Just do that tomorrow and then put Sevin Dust 5% in the boxes and around the coop and run. Can you keep her in the house for awhile or use a blow dryer?

7. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Is there concern about use of it and still eating her eggs... well, that is when she starts laying again?

8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    No..........it's not internal. Eggs will be fine.

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

One thing that nobody mentioned, if one has them, they all do. Treat them all. Be sure to treat the nests and bedding and everything you can think of. Nasty little vampires hide everywhere.

10. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Ditto. They travel fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by