Mites - please help

UrbanChickenMama

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Hi there,
My girls haven't been laying very well recently and 1 has been coughing. I inspected them all today and noticed that 1 has really bad mites around her vent.

Can you please tell me the best way to treat this?

Bath?
Dieat...(spelling please!) Earth?
Petroleum Jelly?
All of the above???

Dusting your flock, their coop, their nests and nesting boxes, etc with diatomaceous earth is a good and natural treatment.
Treating them with Sevin dust is a not-so-natural but effective treatment.
After treating your flock and surrounding areas, keep treating every other week or every month, by just dusting their nesting boxes and coop with DE or Sevin dust.
Make sure you get the dust under their wings and near their vent area.

Thanks everyone! I'll go to the store first thing tomorrow - all the stores will be closed by now - and look for a poultry spray as well as diatomaceous earth for further precautions.

I read something about a flea bath and was interested in this one because I have a dog and cat flea bath under the sink, but I'm worried that she'd get too chilled. Its been getting into the 20s at night still.

Quote:
That would work! Just do that tomorrow and then put Sevin Dust 5% in the boxes and around the coop and run. Can you keep her in the house for awhile or use a blow dryer?

Back
Top Bottom