MITES! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsJewelsRae, Sep 15, 2011.

1. MrsJewelsRae

MrsJewelsRae New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    My BO was almost dead the other day, only thing I can find wrong with her is tiny brownish red bugs on her vent- in the day- which I am certain must be Northern Fowl Mites. She's only 3 months old, I've separated her from the other 5, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they have them too. I have hunted all over town for a cure, the feed store is back ordered on dust- he said "de-louser"- not sure if this is even what I need???! TSC was useless. Sick hen is improving with babying, though she still has a lot of mites. I live in Ontario Canada, and after searching all over the place for SEVIN I was informed by a nursery that it is banned in my province for several years now! I would really prefer not to medicate orally, I don't have very much $ at all to put into this, and I've got 3 littles underfoot here. Is there any other dust like SEVIN I can find in local stores here? Oh and FWIW, my van is in the shop till Monday so I can't go to another city to find another cure. Please help!?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I use stuff called poultry dust, sometimes you can even get it in garden centers. Good luck!

3. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I think you are referring to DE (diatomaceous earth, also called fossil shell flour.) Yes, it is effective against mites, lice and other soft-bodied critters, and will work almost immediately. However, if using on poultry, be sure to use the food grade type. You can sprinkle it directly onto the chickens, just be sure not to get it into their eyes, and be careful to minimize letting it get into the air. Neither you nor or chickens should breathe very much of it because it will irritate the lungs. It's very fine, like flour you cook with, and easily gets into the air.

To prevent the lice and mites you can put some of the DE into the dirt where your chickens take their dust baths. It is non-toxic and available at some feed stores or online. There are several threads here that discuss DE if you're interested in learning more about it.

Your little chick should be fine once the bugs are gone.

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    i'm surprised no one at TSC suggested animal pyrethrin spray. there are many products available. even at Wally World.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by