Mites?! What to do?

What happened to this bird?
Thread 'What's Wrong with Sugar Pie?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-sugar-pie.1520052/

Is she one that stopped laying/is converted in bugs?

Is bugs your only issue or are there other issues that could be causing the birds to not lay too....any respiratory illness?

There are different reasons why birds stop laying. Riding the bugs might help but may not be the only reason they stopped.
Sugar Pie got antibiotics, and within a few days her waddles and combs plumped up, and she was happy and energetic. She layed soft-shelled eggs for a few weeks, but yesterday she layed her first healthy hard shelled egg! And it was bigger, and a bit lighter in color, but it was hers. She's healthy. She has no hints of lice either.

The sick hens are my marans-legbar and my ISA Brown. The other hens don't have lice, but they were treated anyway. I'm giving the sick hens another course of antibiotics as well. The sick hens seem to have a wheeze and squeak when they breathe, and they are also the ones with lice.

Core diet is layer crumbles. I give snacks at night usually, a handful of fly grubs tossed in the yard, or half a small watermelon on a hot day, or a few strawberry tops with the greens a couple times a week. This morning I gave them the Crust from a piece of bread. They get a handful of scratch too sometimes. I am not excessive in my opinion.
Oh boy. That sounds like too much to me. When did your birds stop laying? How old are they?

Laying type/reproductive disorders are caused by not getting a balanced diet. Treats, especially bread and scratch, cause a bird to become overweight fast. Overweightness in a bird is a not what you would see in a human...like an obese person...it's a very slight amount on a bird.

Oh boy. That sounds like too much to me. When did your birds stop laying? How old are they?

Laying type/reproductive disorders are caused by not getting a balanced diet. Treats, especially bread and scratch, cause a bird to become overweight fast. Overweightness in a bird is a not what you would see in a human...like an obese person...it's a very slight amount on a bird.
They are skinny. Too skinny. Believe me. I'm worried because they're so bony and light.

They are skinny. Too skinny. Believe me. I'm worried because they're so bony and light.
👍 I'd stop all treats today and get them on a balanced diet. You might want to think about buying a higher protein feed for a month too.

I know a guy who feeds his chickens day old donuts and baked goods from the grocery store dumpster. I assure you that their treats come in small quantities. And are sugar free, natural foods 90% of the time.

Focus on getting rid of the lice & respiratory issues as these can greatly affect their immune system. They should regain their weight if fed a well balanced diet (no scratch and treats)

Back
Top Bottom