Mites

You might want to consider using Diatomaceous Earth. Get the white, food grade, freshwater type.
It is actually very very tiny shells of sea creatures. Any insect with a carapace ( hard shell) that
comes in contact with the DE, gets dried out and dies. It works on all kinds of insects. It is not
harmful. Just don't breathe the 'dust' as you sprinkle. It has the consistency of flour. You can
dust the bird with it yourself, and the coop and nest boxes. It is also good internally for worms
in chickens, dogs, horses, and people! There are many articles on youtube about diatomaceous
earth. I take it and my dog gets some on his food. My chickens will get it when they are grown,
and I will use it in the coop. It provides lots of minerals as well.

What about chicks? Because hers hatched yesterday

You might want to consider using Diatomaceous Earth. Get the white, food grade, freshwater type.
It is actually very very tiny shells of sea creatures. Any insect with a carapace ( hard shell) that
comes in contact with the DE, gets dried out and dies. It works on all kinds of insects. It is not
harmful. Just don't breathe the 'dust' as you sprinkle. It has the consistency of flour. You can
dust the bird with it yourself, and the coop and nest boxes. It is also good internally for worms
in chickens, dogs, horses, and people! There are many articles on youtube about diatomaceous
earth. I take it and my dog gets some on his food. My chickens will get it when they are grown,
and I will use it in the coop. It provides lots of minerals as well.

What about chicks? Because hers hatched yesterday

If your hen has mites or lice you need to treat her with permethrin ASAP. DE does not work.

Plus it's absolutely useless when it comes to mites - I know because I found hundreds crawling round quite happily in a thick bed of it at the bottom of my nestboxes. I won't be wasting my money on that stuff anymore!

Back
Top Bottom