1. Kenny31

Kenny31 In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2018
    Hawley, PA
    hi my chickens have mites i give them garlic in there water i also use DE in there coops and dust baths but it seems not to be working is there something else i can use to get rid of them

2. Angeline1978

Angeline1978 Songster

May 22, 2016
    Indiana
    If you're bedding with straw, the mites are in the straw. I had that problem. Started bedding with big chip sawdust.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I have no idea why the DE fad is so strong, it does NOT kill mites!

Clean the coop and treat the coop and the chickens with permethrin. Most people use a poultry or horse dust with permethrin in it. I greatly prefer using a spray (usually marked for kittens and dogs etc.), but it is all the same drug.

It works great. You do need to treat twice, 3 times is best if you have a true infestation.

JaeG likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I use this natural mite spray killer to kill mites on my chickens. 55BD8FF5-0ED6-4A0E-BA3A-6500B3760BEE.jpeg

5. Kenny31

Kenny31 In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2018
    Hawley, PA
    im using pine bedding

6. Alaskan

Pine bedding is great.

But whatever you are using you now need to clean it all out and treat the coop and the birds.

7. Kenny31

Kenny31 In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2018
    Hawley, PA
    what can i use to treat my coops i heard about using sevin dust

8. Alaskan

you have options. .. I can't remember what is in Sevin dust.. I have never seen it in real life :confused:

You want a product that says it has permethrin.

I have found it in the feed store in Poultry Dust, Horse Dust, and concentrated spray. I have found it in the local general store in a dog and cat lice and tick spray.

I like spray better... I find it is easier to apply.. and for the dust, you do really need a face mask. :sick

Clean out the coop... then spray or dust all cracks and crevices with whatever it is that you found.

Then treat all of the chickens...

repeat in about 7 days.

9. Kenny31

Kenny31 In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2018
    Hawley, PA
    ok thank you i will get something with permethrin in it and try that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: