mites

I feel your pain and want to hear what others recommend. I have perused the site over and over and don't have an answer either. We have used Valbazen and wood ash in their dust baths too. I haven't used sevin yet, because of the harm to bees, but I am at my wits end. I was starting to wonder if I have the wrong pest. Are these the egg sacks?

I am thinking about moving to the concept of a metal coop because of this issue. I also use the SweetPDZ granules. Does anyone know if mites can survive in that substrate?

the second picture is our roof, we are in San Diego, so they need the air, but I have a feeling that it makes it impossible to clean out the pests. My chicken's heads are a mess, their necks and the beards. It makes me so sad and helpless. View attachment 1411594 View attachment 1411595

SDChickMom: we are in Alpine, CA. (Outside San Diego County.) We use PROLAP Garden & Poultry Dust. I have to say, without a doubt, it has eliminated some of the worst cases we've experienced. I literally have a Chicken who is disabled (she's in a therapy chair) and became full of mites. Within four hours...mites were GONE. https://www.amazon.com/CHEMTECH-BC698321-Prozap-Garden-Poultry/dp/B001BM4JLM. Best of luck to all, and I hope this information is helpful.

SDChickMom: we are in Alpine, CA. (Outside San Diego County.) We use PROLAP Garden & Poultry Dust. I have to say, without a doubt, it has eliminated some of the worst cases we've experienced. I literally have a Chicken who is disabled (she's in a therapy chair) and became full of mites. Within four hours...mites were GONE. https://www.amazon.com/CHEMTECH-BC698321-Prozap-Garden-Poultry/dp/B001BM4JLM. Best of luck to all, and I hope this information is helpful.
This is the powdered form of Permethrin...it works.

Glad I found this thread! I may or may not have a mite problem, hens are all scratching and some have feather patch loss but no redness/sores/swelling on anyone, no evidence of mites as compared to photos I've looked at, no mites noted at night with a flashlight - even in cracks/crevices and roost bars...so I'm at a loss. Molt? Vitamin deficiency somehow? I tried to order the premixed Martin's (bottle that Kiki showed) from Tractor Supply, just in case, but apparently they will not ship this to Delaware...so those in search of permethrin...it may be limited in your states. I did find a gallon bottle on Amazon that will ship to my address.
I have been battling an invisible pest and I believe it to be the depluming mite. Are you seeing broken feathers? Is it only affecting certain chickens or all of them?
I have tried everything - from vitamins to ivermectin and everything in between (permethrin on schedule). I am going to give sulphur a try. I read about a sulphur dip that could help.

I have been battling an invisible pest and I believe it to be the depluming mite. Are you seeing broken feathers? Is it only affecting certain chickens or all of them?
I have tried everything - from vitamins to ivermectin and everything in between (permethrin on schedule). I am going to give sulphur a try. I read about a sulphur dip that could help.
May I ask how your used the ivermectin?
Orally (if so what dose) or topically?

Back
Top Bottom