Mites

adstevens

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2019
We have our 4 chicks inside our house, with the exception of playing outside twice. Can they get mites inside a house? I have been itching for two days now all over. Today I noticed my hands itched after holding one of our girls.

Do you see any bugs crawling?
It's possible that they could pick up lice/mites outside, look over the chicks - part the down and feathers and see if there are bugs.

What are you using for bedding? Possibly you are allergic to bedding, dust or even the chicks themselves? Are you washing your hands well after handling?

We are using the big bag of animal bedding from Atwoods. I will check the chicks and see.

I just recently got mites from my chickens. Please see the attached photo of my arm. I am still trying to figure out how to battle these.

Attachments

• A2541E52-34CB-44A2-AB95-403F7E2A54F7.jpeg
    A2541E52-34CB-44A2-AB95-403F7E2A54F7.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 13
Ouch! I am not getting any kind of welts so I think it may just be a reaction. Thank you for sharing this. I hope you get to feeling better.

I did see mites on one of my chickens - however I haven’t seen any on my self or in the house. My husband and son are not having any issues but they didn’t not handle any of the chickens.

I did see mites on one of my chickens - however I haven’t seen any on my self or in the house. My husband and son are not having any issues but they didn’t not handle any of the chickens.
Did you treat the chickens?
Could be you are allergic to the chickens/their feathers/dander or the mites.
That looks like hives to me, if they persist or spread, then consulting your Doctor would be a good idea.

Did you treat the chickens?
Could be you are allergic to the chickens/their feathers/dander or the mites.
That looks like hives to me, if they persist or spread, then consulting your Doctor would be a good idea.

x2. Not that everyone reacts the same to bug bites, but those don't look quite like mite bites. I'd expect more of a series of small red bumps, the sort that's more typical of bug bites, but quite possibly you're allergic to the bites and it's flaring up.

x2. Not that everyone reacts the same to bug bites, but those don't look quite like mite bites. I'd expect more of a series of small red bumps, the sort that's more typical of bug bites, but quite possibly you're allergic to the bites and it's flaring up.

Thank you and Wyrop Rock! You were right, I had two tele visits with my doctor over the weekend and am definitley having an allergic reaction to something, and I do not have a mite infestation (thank goodness). Thank you both!

Back
Top Bottom