Mites

LiseDujakovich

Chirping
Jul 17, 2019
Good afternoon allšŸ˜Š I have a flock of 10 hens that are losing feathers. I have done some research here & narrowed it down to mites (theyā€™re not molting; not broody; they have plenty of room; havenā€™t seen any consistent bullying/pecking). The best recommendation was for Poultry Protector spray. However, in my area (Kansas City metro) there is none on the shelves. I spoke with Tractor Supply today and they said they havenā€™t had any for 2-3 weeks. Iā€™m assuming this is a Covid-related issue with ingredients, production, or transport. So...I have a mite problem & am looking for other suggestions. I know there are pros & cons for DE...but that is looking like my next best option. Any other advice? Thanks in advancešŸ”šŸ”

How old are the hens? Could they be molting? Cannyou post any pictures? Can you check their skin for tiny bugs under the vent between the legs and elsewhere. Mites would leave dark specks while lice would leave clumps of white eggs ate the base of feathers. The best product to get would be Gordons or Martins Permethrin 10 concentrateā€”8 ounces for around $9ā€“ that mixes with water in a spray bottle with instructions inside the label. Mites require treatment at 7 day intervals while lice are treated at least twice at 10 day intervals. I would not treat unless I saw bugs. The bedding should be removed and the coop, roosts, and nests treated as wellif mites or lice are seen.

How old are the hens? Could they be molting? Cannyou post any pictures? Can you check their skin for tiny bugs under the vent between the legs and elsewhere. Mites would leave dark specks while lice would leave clumps of white eggs ate the base of feathers. The best product to get would be Gordons or Martins Permethrin 10 concentrateā€”8 ounces for around $9ā€“ that mixes with water in a spray bottle with instructions inside the label. Mites require treatment at 7 day intervals while lice are treated at least twice at 10 day intervals. I would not treat unless I saw bugs. The bedding should be removed and the coop, roosts, and nests treated as wellif mites or lice are seen.

Hens are a variety of ages (1-5yrs). They arenā€™t molting - the loss of feathers is mostly on the front of their necks and their butts. I have checked them several days in a row - no sign of lice or other ā€œmovingā€ parasites; no fleas. Definitely dark spots at the base of their feathers - I just went out to check. Would not have known to look for that if not for your reply - thank you! The permethrin is what Iā€™m having a hard time finding, but will search for the brand names you mentioned. I figured I would need to remove/replace the bedding to get all the nooks & crannies. From what Iā€™ve read, the mites come out at night. Would I actually see them on the hens or on their roosts? I just donā€™t see anything on them (in the daylight) that is moving.

Red roost mites come on at night, while the common chicken mites is on the chicken 24/7. Pictures can be helpful. Feather picking can leave broken off feathers which look like spots. Picking is sometimes done while bored sitting on the roost, and many chickens allow others to pick them. Sometimes feather picking is done due to boredom from not getting out to free range, overcrowded conditions, or lack of protein in the feed. Usually with feather picking, the culprit can be the one who looks perfect with no missing feathers. Here is a good article about mites and lice and what to look for:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Here is a good article about feather picking with a good picture of spots where feathers are broken off:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-picking-causes-and-solutions/

Iā€™ll see if I can get some photos loaded. There are some broken off feathers. Theyā€™re not overcrowded in their yard; I let them out for 2-3 hours to free range (just being respectful of neighbors - we live in the suburbs). Their feed is 16% protein, which I found most others to be. Iā€™ll definitely check out the articles you attached. And I did find some Gordonā€™s permethrin at our local Westlake Ace Hardware storešŸ˜Š Weā€™re new to having hens - just about a year now. Itā€™s been a learning curve, to be sure, but we all really enjoy having them. They are a blessing and great teacher of responsibility for our son with Down syndrome (supervised, of course!). Thank you for all your advice and recommendationsšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Iā€™ll see if I can get some photos loaded. There are some broken off feathers. Theyā€™re not overcrowded in their yard; I let them out for 2-3 hours to free range (just being respectful of neighbors - we live in the suburbs). Their feed is 16% protein, which I found most others to be. Iā€™ll definitely check out the articles you attached. And I did find some Gordonā€™s permethrin at our local Westlake Ace Hardware storešŸ˜Š Weā€™re new to having hens - just about a year now. Itā€™s been a learning curve, to be sure, but we all really enjoy having them. They are a blessing and great teacher of responsibility for our son with Down syndrome (supervised, of course!). Thank you for all your advice and recommendationsšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Back
Top Bottom