Mites...

pglegjig

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2019
Taking back my 2 hens from a former friend that has neglected them. Haven't done a close inspection because I can just tell by looking at them that they have mites...A SEVERE CASE! They are being moved to a pristine and very well maintained coop that has no occupants. Once I move and treat Nora and Camur ( Camur is Latin for crooked because her neck is crooked) should I wait a few days before putting them in the new coop and if so how long? Also going to dust the new digs with DE . I'm a newbie in the chicken world and I'm hooked!!! Would sincerely appreciate your input!

P.S.
Prefer to use non-toxic products ... Thanks..~Peggy

Agreed^
I had my first northern fowl mite infestation this fall. I caught it early enough that not all birds had them, but it gave me the creepy crawlies!
Permethrin knocked them right out. I didn’t see any after the first treatment but be sure you retreat per the directions!

Permethrin. It's very toxic for mites and lice!!!
Cats don't handle it well, keep your barn cat out of the area until the spray is dry.
DE is toxic for anyone to inhale, and is a poor insecticide for this use anyway.
You should look closely at these birds to be sure that they actually have mites or lice before treating them. If it's molting and malnutrition, rather than mites, it matters.
Mary

Haven't done a close inspection because I can just tell by looking at them that they have mites...A SEVERE CASE!
Best to look closely.
If you do see them, don't screw around with DE, get some permethrin.

My Bug Check Notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Permethrin. It's very toxic for mites and lice!!!
Cats don't handle it well, keep your barn cat out of the area until the spray is dry.
DE is toxic for anyone to inhale, and is a poor insecticide for this use anyway.
You should look closely at these birds to be sure that they actually have mites or lice before treating them. If it's molting and malnutrition, rather than mites, it matters.
Mary
I agree. Permethrin has worked well for me too. Poultry dust usually has permethrin in it too.
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

Thanks everybody for your feedback! Definitely inspecting the girls before treating. Fingers crossed! Will post a follow-up. Take Care/ Happy Holidays/ Be Safe
~Peggy

Back
Top Bottom