Mites?

PepsiCatt

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
TN
so this could be mites my broody hen has some kind of bug crawling all over her body she stays in the coop all the time and they seem to be making eggs on her face

Broodies are prone to parasite issues. Even if you can't get a photo you should search for images of mites and lice and see if you can find a match. If it's either of those, permethrin should do the trick.

In large enough quantities, mites could drain enough blood to cause anemia (or in the case of one of my hens, her face puffed up and her eyes swelled shut and were oozing). Much more deadly to chicks since they're so tiny. I'm not actually sure what lice do specifically... never dealt with them before.

Ok i heard that wood ash or vinager is good. i think i may use wood ash bc i dont want to waste vinager

X2 on the insecticides. I had a bad chicken lice infestation from a new bird I acquired. Permethrin works great on the birds and in the coop/run, but you need to dilute it to different ratios. If you spray anything on your birds, and it's cold in your location, make sure to dry them off pretty well. I tried several of the "all natural" options, but none of them put a dent in the infestation. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom