Mites

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
My chickens have mites. I am working on treating right now but I'm so confused at what kind of mites they are. I think they are Northern fowl mites, but they are ripping the feathers apart on my chickens I don't know what to do. This is one of the most affected chickens feathers, do you have any clue what kind of mite, might have caused this?

Attachments

• IMG_20210729_201613.jpg
    IMG_20210729_201613.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 40
I gave her a cool bath to help her inflamed skin and get rid of some of the mites, and dusted her with some diatomaceous earth. This is my first time dealing with an infestation and hopefully my last 😂
I just don't want to lose any birds to them because they're pests.

Thanks for all your help!

@aart is really good at this stuff, amongst many other things.

I see pins/new feather growth which is ok. So I'm no help. Have you noticed actual bugs? DE doesn't work for getting rid of anything. It's dangerous to the birds respiratory health, as well as ours. I just bookmarked an article on mites so I'll share the link. I'm sorry that I am no help.

Mites on Chickens: Prevention & Treatment

De will not get rid of any Mite problems. You need this. Permethrin. Mix according to direction. Spray her well. Under her wings and undercarriage. Be careful of her face. Clean out your coop and spray it down in all the creases, cracks and corners and roosts. Allow it to dry. It has a 28 day dry effectiveness.
I forgot the picture.
@aart will agree.

Attachments

• 20201023_164830.jpg
    20201023_164830.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 29
@Folly's place is another member that's always helpful. I've read many threads with her information that have been helpful. Treatment generally suggested for mites and lice is permethrin. Elector PSP is another treatment but it's fairly expensive. It does work really well and in my opinion it's less work.

I see pins/new feather growth which is ok. So I'm no help. Have you noticed actual bugs? DE doesn't work for getting rid of anything. It's dangerous to the birds respiratory health, as well as ours. I just bookmarked an article on mites so I'll share the link. I'm sorry that I am no help.

Thanks! Anything helps lol
I haven't been dusting them with the DE in the coop, near their face, and been covering my own face.
I have seen bugs on the eggs, haven't seen them in a few days tho, but egg production has dropped significantly 🥴

Thanks! Anything helps lol
I haven't been dusting them with the DE in the coop, near their face, and been covering my own face.
I have seen bugs on the eggs, haven't seen them in a few days tho, but egg production has dropped significantly 🥴
Those lil buggers are there unless you spray and kill them.
Wear a mask, and gloves and I recommend covering your eyes.
Spraying the chicken after she roosts is the less stressful time for her. Wrap her in a towel and make yourself a lil work area and she'll forever Thank you with good eggs for getting those blood thirsty critters off of her.
Poor baby.

HeatherKellyB you are of help. You listed a good article. Plus you tagged one of the Experts on here. I have learned so much from all of them.

Those lil buggers are there unless you spray and kill them.
Wear a mask, and gloves and I recommend covering your eyes.
Spraying the chicken after she roosts is the less stressful time for her. Wrap her in a towel and make yourself a lil work area and she'll forever Thank you with good eggs for getting those blood thirsty critters off of her.
Poor baby.
I am gonna get some of that stuff, I hate to see them suffer 😖

Back
Top Bottom