Mites?

GwenC

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2020
Good morning. We have a hen that has had red bald spots on the top of her wings for several weeks. Her tail feathers have looked like twigs for several months. Could any of this be caused by mites? She is in a 20x40 yard and takes dust baths regularly.

Attachments

• DCC967EA-0EA9-4567-ABF2-E4171B27828A.jpeg
    DCC967EA-0EA9-4567-ABF2-E4171B27828A.jpeg
    921.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 2818DA97-5D40-4391-AF37-7A1C1A2A0C87.jpeg
    2818DA97-5D40-4391-AF37-7A1C1A2A0C87.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
If you have a rooster she is his favorite hen. You need to either get more hens to stop him from having one favorite or get rid of the roo. If you don't have a roo I think it's other hens bullying and pulling her feather. If she's the only hen you have she might be lonely bored and stressed and needs friends. Like parrots chicken can pull out their feathers.

If you have a rooster she is his favorite hen. You need to either get more hens to stop him from having one favorite or get rid of the roo. If you don't have a roo I think it's other hens bullying and pulling her feather. If she's the only hen you have she might be lonely bored and stressed and needs friends. Like parrots chicken can pull out their feathers.
Thanks Gigachad. We got rid of our roosters a couple of years ago and we have 7 other hens. She’s 1 or 2 on the pecking order so the other hens don’t bully her, that I’ve ever seen. Can I put something on the bald spots to encourage feather growth?

Thanks Gigachad. We got rid of our roosters a couple of years ago and we have 7 other hens. She’s 1 or 2 on the pecking order so the other hens don’t bully her, that I’ve ever seen. Can I put something on the bald spots to encourage feather growth?
Yeah that would help her. Look for individuals that might single her out. That was a problem of mine awhile ago.

Back
Top Bottom