Mites

-Flash-

Free Ranging
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
So I picked up one of my chickens today after being away for a week or two and she has these little round, black mites under her wing.

What can I use do kill/get rid them? Preferably something I can order online because I live in a small town that’s vet sucks.

Tia

Pestene dust or Vetafarm Avian Insect Liquidator spray. You need to treat every bird and deep clean your coop, treat the coop and put fresh bedding in. Bag and bin the old bedding or burn it.

If you want to go the medication route, Exzolt if you can get it, and there is an off-label Ivermectin which is Vetafarm Avimec for scaly face mites in budgerigars at .5ml/kg drops on the back of the neck or find a cattle drench and adjust dosage.

Pestene dust or Vetafarm Avian Insect Liquidator spray. You need to treat every bird and deep clean your coop, treat the coop and put fresh bedding in. Bag and bin the old bedding or burn it.

If you want to go the medication route, Exzolt if you can get it, and there is an off-label Ivermectin which is Vetafarm Avimec for scaly face mites in budgerigars at .5ml/kg drops on the back of the neck or find a cattle drench and adjust dosage.
Awesome thank you, I might try the Vetafarm Avain Insect one and see how that goes.

Awesome thank you, I might try the Vetafarm Avain Insect one and see how that goes.

Depending on how many birds you have and how you want to treat the coop, go for the 500ml concentrate.

If you have a Bunnings or other hardware store near you, you can go suss out their permethrin insecticides and use that in the coop. Might save you some $$$

Depending on how many birds you have and how you want to treat the coop, go for the 500ml concentrate.

If you have a Bunnings or other hardware store near you, you can go suss out their permethrin insecticides and use that in the coop. Might save you some $$$
I wish I had a Bunnings but the closest one is 3 hours away. I might be able to find something in our Elders or Landmark. I’ll check them out this afternoon when I have time. Actually I might check with my mum and see if she has anything. Thank you

I wish I had a Bunnings but the closest one is 3 hours away. I might be able to find something in our Elders or Landmark. I’ll check them out this afternoon when I have time. Actually I might check with my mum and see if she has anything. Thank you

No worries. Soap and water to clean the coop will do in a pinch especially if you have caught the problem early. You can also spray tea tree/eucalyptus essential oils mixed with water as a deterrent.

Make sure you retreat in 5-7 days to deal with any eggs that have hatched.

No worries. Soap and water to clean the coop will do in a pinch especially if you have caught the problem early. You can also spray tea tree/eucalyptus essential oils mixed with water as a deterrent.

Make sure you retreat in 5-7 days to deal with any eggs that have hatched.
Okay. Also, if I cover the run in like bird net to stop the sparrows getting in, will that decrease the chances of the mites coming back after I get rid of them? I think I’m just going to get new roosts and nesting boxes and then clean the coop.

Okay. Also, if I cover the run in like bird net to stop the sparrows getting in, will that decrease the chances of the mites coming back after I get rid of them? I think I’m just going to get new roosts and nesting boxes and then clean the coop.

Yeah the more you can keep away the wild birds the better. I would say the danger for mites comes more from having wild birds nesting in the area. There are mites which live mainly on the bird and mites that live mainly in the nest and then migrate once the nest is abandoned. Wild birds will drop mites and lice and spread bacterial and viral diseases.

Yeah the more you can keep away the wild birds the better. I would say the danger for mites comes more from having wild birds nesting in the area. There are mites which live mainly on the bird and mites that live mainly in the nest and then migrate once the nest is abandoned. Wild birds will drop mites and lice and spread bacterial and viral diseases.
Cool, I'll do that on the weekend. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom