Mites?

danschicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
Virginia
One of my hens had a bunch of bugs all over her. You could see them crawling on the top of her feathers on her back and her wings, etc. They were about 1/3-1/2 the size of a sesame seed and a yellowish tan/brown color. You do not have to strain to see them. I could not make out any legs however with just my eye. The bird does not seem bothered by them. I searched pictures of mites, assuming they were northern or tropical fowl mites. I live in VA. The pictures didn't match. These bugs are about 3 times as long as they are wide. I don't know if they fly or jump, but they do get on you. They are not clustered on the bird but are just crawling everywhere. I just dusted the coop, their dust bath spots, nest boxes, and the infected bird with sevin. I will flip and dust all birds tonight while they roost. Haven't seen any on any other birds. Any thoughts?

does your chicken have clusters of white stuff near the vent? It might be lice......sounds like it! I have 2 with it and have had such a hard time getting rid of them. I just used peremethium spray and drenched their vent feather. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom