mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hdowden, Oct 9, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok so the fair was this weekend and my lil sisters decieded to my d'uccle to the 4-h show along with their chickens. anyways the sussex was by anouther chicken that had mites on its legs. what are the chances that she will get those mites, should all the chickens and 2 ducks be treated even if we dont see any mites, and whats the safest thing to use on chicks and around other animals such as dogs cats rabbits horses ect?

2. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I am anxious to see what answers you get. I am concerned we have mites, too. Some of my chickens have black spots of dried blood on their combs. However, everything I have read on the topic says that they are nearly impossible to see. How did you know the chicken next door had mites? Our chickens for sure had lice, so we dusted them all with Sevin, cleaned out their coop and sprayed liquid sevin in all the cracks. We also mixed Diatomacious Earth in with the pine shavings as it is supposed to be a natural preventative. When we got ready for our Fair, several still had lice, so we bathed them with flea and tick shampoo and that did the trick.

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

You have to dust and then repeat in 10 days to kill any eggs that have hatched out...1 time doesn't get em.....as for the leg mites...mix some of the dust powder in with vaseline and smear it on pretty heavy....it will smother and kill the mites...retreat as needed....hope this helps..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by