1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mites

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cynthiae76, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Cynthiae76

Cynthiae76 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    I have chicks that has mites please help me.... I don't want to dust them ....is there a another way:De:)

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Some will say DE isn't effective, while some will say it is. Try calling the feed store see if Poultry Dust could be used on your chicks, what are their ages? If they do have mites, you'll also have to treat their housing & others that they are around. Dust the vent area & under the wings for sure. I hate bugs, I dust (DE) my birds weekly & sprinkle their house which I scrub down monthly, also sprinkle DE in the areas they bathe in.

3. Three Silkies

Three Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone told me to use olive oil on my chicks. I did that and dusted the mama hen with Maldison. But their house was badly infested so I've moved them to a new house and I put wood ash and DE in their dust baths. I have been told not to use DE though as it apparently causes respiratory problems.

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by