Mits/bugs on hens eggs !!!!!!?????

swtangel321

~Crazy Egg Lady~
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
I was checking my hens eggs last night and noticed the eggs had tiny tiny bugs on them, I'm pretty sure they were mits (looked clear?) Just wondering what I should do ? If anything.... Will the bugs effect the chicks or them hatching ??? I really dont want to dust my whole flock, I'm guessing if the eggs have them the other chickens/chicks do also.... Is there anything I can put in the water that kills bugs instead of dusting them that would be safe for everyone ??? Thanks for the help !!!

ETA: Ive never had this problem before with eggs/hens, why would it start now ???

Last edited:
You have mites, and likely have had them for a long time. You just didn't notice them before. There are very few flocks that don't have some.

You will need to dust every bird in your flock, and disinfect the nests, roosts, and everything else that you can think of. This probably won't even totally rid you of the mites. They hide in cracks in walls, floors, nests, and anywhere else that has cracks or small holes.

I would suggest that you use a pyrethrin product. The pyrethrins are about the safest insecticides that will work well. There are others, but not as benign to humans as the pyrethroids. Pyrethroids are derived from Chrysanthemum flowers. Some people mix the pyrethrins with DE, and find it very effective. I have not had experience with DE, but I hear many who swear by it. From what I have read, DE will not eliminate your problem by itself, but will help to hold down the mite population after you kill most of them with the pyrethrins. Good luck!

Thanks for the info !!!!!! I will start looking around for that stuff, My hubby built me a new coop last week and I was totaly surprised when I saw them, I never saw them in the other coops !!!! Do you think b/c winter is comming they are more noticable and hinding on the hens eggs b/c they want to stay warm ??? Is the product you are talking about safe for all age chickens and the hen and her eggs ??

Edit : How do you recomend cleaning everything ???

Last edited:
Hello...I use Sevin dust(you can buy this at wal-mart for under $5) in lawn and garden. I dust my chickens down(all of them), clean out their litter, replace it and sprinkle the sevin dust in the litter as well....repeat every five days three times and you should be rid of them!
wink.png

M@M@2four :

Hello...I use Sevin dust(you can buy this at wal-mart for under $5) in lawn and garden. I dust my chickens down(all of them), clean out their litter, replace it and sprinkle the sevin dust in the litter as well....repeat every five days three times and you should be rid of them!
wink.png

Thanks for the tip, Is this product used for mites on animales ??? And if you put it in the litter they must eat some of it when the peck around ? Thats ok ???​

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Is this product used for mites on animales ??? And if you put it in the litter they must eat some of it when the peck around ? Thats ok ???

Yep...it's not harmful to them. Sevin's actually used to dust fruit and vegetables for bugs. I have used it for a long time and have never had any side effects!
smile.png
My chickens are much happier without those little critters!
smile.png

Think im gonna give it a try.... I was hoping there was somthing I could put in the water (I only have to dust 40ish chickens) that would of been so much easyer. Well, of to walmart tommrow !!!! Can I use it in there run also ???

Also how much do you put on ?? Thanks everyone.

I was looking up sevin dust (just in case our crappy walmart doesnt have it) Do I get the 5% or 10% or some other % ??? Thanks !!!

This will be safe for my hen with eggs also ????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom