1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mix breed chicks- Gender help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Flocky, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Flocky

Flocky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Our lovely hen Lilly ran off the the woods, made a nest and hatched some chicks! 16 in total, we lost 1 somewhere and I sold 10 to a nearby farm (my flock is a little larger than the 6 I promised my husband)
    So I am left with 5 chicks! All 5 are different colours, 1 is male for sure and I am really hopping the other 4 are girls.
    Opinions welcomed and appreciated!

Dad- Mortimer, French Black Copper Marans Cross
    [​IMG]
    Mom- Lilly, an Ameraucana Cross
    [​IMG]
    Group Shot
    [​IMG]
    The Male- Stew
    [​IMG]
    First Hopeful- Peony
    [​IMG]
    Second Hopeful- Bluebell
    [​IMG]
    Third Hopeful- Tulip
    [​IMG]
    Fourth and Final Hopeful- Daisy
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Flocky

Mar 23, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Forgot to say, They were born October 2nd so they are 8 weeks old [​IMG]

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I am no expert, but i think the last 3 look like pullets, and the first 2 i'm not sure. Look more like cockerels than the others.

Their dad is super pretty :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    All but number 2 look like pullets. Number two looks like it's developing wattles--so I'd guess it's a cockerel.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I'm not really shore on gender, but my guess is that stew and peony are boys and that the other 3 are girls. love the names by the way.

6. Flocky

Mar 23, 2014
    BC, Canada
    You guys are probably right about Peony. :( I was just hoping because he/she is a solid colour there was a chance. @cityfarmer12 Dad is an awesome rooster and quite friendly. To anyone in the BC Lower mainland he is free to a good home! Definitely can't keep him with his daughters around...

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You have mixed breed chickens (mixed of mixed) so the rules bend a bit as to development. I find my barnyard mixes tend to mature faster than their pure breed cousins. They also tend to break the color rules as to male or female of the underlying breeds.

I do find comb color the best indicator. At 8 weeks, it is highly likely (as pretty sure) that Stew and Peony are roo's and the last 3 pullets. But continue to watch them. I have had barnyard mutts lay at 13 and 14 weeks, yes, I double checked the calendar of the hatch date...but that was a winter hatch that took advantage of the spring lengthening light.

All to say, I think you have 2 roo's and 3 pullets, but barnyard mixes can surprise you.

Lady of McCamley

8. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    man, i wish that i was near you! I would have a fun time convincing my parents to get another rooster though :) What's his name??

9. Flocky

Mar 23, 2014
    BC, Canada
    @cityfarmer12 His name is Mortimer :)

@Lady of McCamley I cannot believe the variations that have shown up. The colours! The straight combs and pea combs! Tulip even has a few feathers on her legs! I am really hoping for green eggs all around too :D

10. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

First two are boys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by