Mix breed chicks- Gender help please!

@cityfarmer12 His name is Mortimer
smile.png

@Lady of McCamley I cannot believe the variations that have shown up. The colours! The straight combs and pea combs! Tulip even has a few feathers on her legs! I am really hoping for green eggs all around too
big_smile.png
lol, good name
big_smile.png

Agree Stew and Peony are males.

What color eggs does momma lay? It will be interesting to see what those pullets lay as they mature. Surprise broodies are the best!

Agree Stew and Peony are males.

What color eggs does momma lay? It will be interesting to see what those pullets lay as they mature. Surprise broodies are the best!

Mom lays a pale blue small/medium egg. With the feathers on dad's legs I'm thinking he is definitely a BCM mix :) In theory the egg should be green?

@cityfarmer12 His name is Mortimer
smile.png

@Lady of McCamley I cannot believe the variations that have shown up. The colours! The straight combs and pea combs! Tulip even has a few feathers on her legs! I am really hoping for green eggs all around too
big_smile.png
Your chances for green eggs are likely remote, Olive green very remote.

My genetics is sketchy but when I was wondering if my EE mixes would have green eggs, it was explained with an EE in the mix (as you have with your hen), bred to a pure bred dark layer (however your roo is not purebred BCM, keep that in mind), you have a 50% chance of having green and 50% brown IF the EE carries the blue gene...if the EE does not carry the blue gene, then you have 0% chance of getting anything other than brown. If by chance your roo carries the dark brown Maran color, you could have a chance at an olive green egg.

EDITED as you answered color EE was laying..then you have some chances of color coming through as she has the blue gene (and I think there may be 2 blue genes??? If she has only 1, it creates more variation possibility)...you've greatly expanded the genetic pool by breeding mix breeds so the general rules won't pan out, to my understanding, and it becomes more of a crap shoot as to what the off spring will have by way of shell genetics as you've witnessed with combs and colors.

Good news...if a pullet has a pea comb, it is more likely she has the blue gene, but no guarantee.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
If your hen is laying blue eggs, she's most likely pure for the blue egg gene, meaning each of her offspring will get one. Dad's genes are debatable as to how dark a brown, but he's a brown gene bird. So, blue + brown will give you some shade of green in the offspring. I've been amazed at how many different shades of green chickens can lay!

The only thing that would mess with that is if somehow momma hen carries a blue and a white, so she'd still lay blue eggs but could in theory pass on a white gene, that would be overridden by dad's brown, so the offspring would lay brown. But that chance is pretty remote.

Thanks everyone! I will make sure to update with official genders & egg colours when the time comes! Chickens are such a fun adventure ;)

I have never crossed an EE with a black copper maran cross, but I have crossed an EE with a Wheaten maran rooster, and all but one of the chicks layed olive eggs, and one layed dark brown eggs.
I have a couple 3/8 maran, 5/8 Amaraucana pullets That are approaching laying age. I can't wait to see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom