Mix oyster shell & grit with feed????????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Blosing101, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Blosing101

Blosing101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    Is it better to mix your oyster shell and grit with your feed or to put them in separate feeder/containers and let them get it as they want?

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    It is fine giving your hens their grit/oyster shells in either a separate container, or mixed in with their feed. I personally give mine a free choise, with pots of grit in various places of the run, but it is up to you personal preference.

1 person likes this.
  3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I keep my grit separate, so they take as needed. I will also give them oyster shell separately if the shells get thin. So far the layer feed is doing it's job. GC[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Shelley Lee

Shelley Lee New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Townsend Delaware
    My hens just started laying so I mixed layer feed in with the grower feed and have grit as well as oyster shell in separate bowls. Is this ok?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Oh yeah I mixed my grower and layer feed 50/50 for two weeks. Now straight layers.
    I have about 10#s of growers feed left so l mixed it 50/50 with scratch grains and toss it on the ground twice a day. They gobble it up. When that is gone I am thinking about doing the same with the layers feed.
    That's how I introduced them to the pellets. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by