Mixed age flock won't get along

Wesley E

Hatching
Mar 6, 2015
Greetings!
I currently have 9 chickens that all live together. 2 are 21 week old RIR roosters and they were raised with 2 other hens of the same age. The other 5 are 14 week old hens. I raised them all from 2 days old.
Once the younger hens were 2 weeks old I introduced them to the older flock by letting them be in the run with them while I as in there with them. When they were 6 weeks old I put them in a fenced off part of the run so the two Flocka could see each other but not do anything to each other. I did that until they were 10 weeks old when I fully introduced them and they were put in the coop with them.
The younger chickens did get picked on to the fullest extent of the pecking order, as expected, and no chicken was ever hurt or bled. I expected this to stop after no longer than 2 weeks, but a month later it is still continuing. The younger hens always stay in a tight group in the corner of the run because if one goes alone, it gets attacked by the older chickens. The older chickens also attack their circle for what it seems no reason. The young hens only separate when the older ones are outside of the run. At night, all the younger hens sleep on the floor until I shine a flashlight in there so they can fly up on a roost when the older chickens are asleep.
I don't know if this is normal and what I can do. The coop is 4x8 feet and the run is 25x25 so I think they have plenty of space. It also seems that the younger hens have no order in their small flock, I never see them showing signs of enforcing the pecking order like the older ones do and their seems to be no dominant one in their small flock. Does this situation seem normal and OK, or is there something else I need to do?

Greetings from Kansas, Wesley E, and welcome to BYC! Great to have you aboard. I don't have a real great idea why after a month the older hens are still beating up the younger. It should have worked itself out by now. Are these recent dust ups violent or just a hen chasing off a youngster? If it's the latter that may be just the way it is - pecking order displays with no real aggression. You might post your question here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying. Folks in this thread will be able to help you out. Best of luck!

Thank you redsox! That was a fast response! The interactions are about half and half violent where I have to interfere and the other where they are just ran off. I will post it in the behavior section, hopefully I can get this solved! Thank you again.

welcome-byc.gif

You are wise to watch them at first. Sometimes they can work it out. I find it interesting that the ones that run are the ones that .. get it! The ones that just stand there and peck at the ground, are accepted sooner. I think the chase is fun for them. :p

Please be sure to have more feeders & waterers out so they bullied ones still get to eat & drink. Are your roosters doing the bullying also?

Yes, the roosters are doing most of the bullying. I'm going to add more feeders and waterers and also expand the coop and hope for the best!

Back
Top Bottom