Mixed Breed and Mule Ducklings

PittyLova

Songster
Dec 29, 2017
Northern, NH
Hi all,

I have a bunch of duck eggs in my incubator right now. Most will be mixed breed with khaki, pekin, and Rouen. I've looked up how what most of the crosses that we will come up with will look like as hatchlings. But my question is, is it possible to tell any mule ducklings from the others at hatch? Are there any specific signs to look for?

Here is what I've gathered during my searches:

Rouen x Khaki - Looks very similar to a rouen
Rouen x Pekin - Looks like Rouen duckling with more yellow fuzz/broken solid patches
Khaki x Pekin - Black with white bibs

I have 2 Muscovy drakes (1 black and 1 chocolate). I have seen them mate with the other ducks so I have no idea what's in the incubator. I have somebody wanting to buy most of the ducklings that hatch, but want to keep any mules and the 'scovies for myself.

Yes, they still lay. It’s actually now debatable if a double mule can actually have fertile eggs.

I have a Pekin over my Muscovy. Her babies are called Hinneys. Still supposed to be infertile, but I have a heck of a time keeping her babies alive. Just coincidence, not anything seriously wrong. It just means I have not checked fertility of the grand babies.

Yes, they still lay. It’s actually now debatable if a double mule can actually have fertile eggs.
I have a Pekin over my Muscovy. Her babies are called Hinneys. Still supposed to be infertile, but I have a heck of a time keeping her babies alive. Just coincidence, not anything seriously wrong. It just means I have not checked fertility of the grand babies.
Pictures?

D694E1A2-7C71-4DCD-BE0B-15011E02786B.jpeg

Hinnies (Pekin over Muscovy)
102D8FA8-7A07-4AC2-936A-475E57EF591A.jpeg
4DBB8656-7B53-4B41-ACC1-2827FAF4FC03.jpeg
A834EDEA-463E-4E82-9A18-D1DD64731757.jpeg

Our babies have begun hatching! Two are out of the eggs and dried, 2 are almost out, with a few more pipped.

The possibilities I have are as follows:

Purebred khaki
Rouen x khaki
Rouen x pekin
Khaki x pekin
Black muscovy Mule
Chocolate muscovy Mule (unlikely)

One baby is a khaki that has hatched fully.
When this one hatched I thought this one was a khaki x pekin (my understanding is rouen crosses look mostly rouen). However I'm wondering if this one is actually a mule as it seems more blue now that it dried and fluffed. What do you think? I want to keep any mules and rehome the other babies.

20190613_225945.jpg 20190613_225915.jpg 20190613_225904.jpg

Here’s what our hinnies (Rouen drake x Muscovy) looked like right after hatching (“Mom” was a wyandotte hen lol) 733E223F-F396-4D8D-BDC9-73830A9587D0.jpeg
They mostly looked like Rouen ducklings but had spotted feet and a white spot on the underside of their tail. I imagine the colors can vary quite a bit though, depending on the mom’s coloration.

When we had a Rouen drake over a khaki the ducklings also looked like rouens but had solid dark colored feet and bills.

Back
Top Bottom