Mixed Breed Flock?

Bama4545

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
East Central Alabama
I order from Meyer back in april and now I am worried I should have done more research before ordering. I have 21 pullets of at least 2 but no more than 3 of Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orphington, Dominque, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red and Partridge Cochin. Not sure how this mix will get along or sure how well they will handle Alabama heat. Does anybody have any suggestions or experience they could pass along. I also ordered a Black Australorp rooster and realize now I probably should have just waited to see how many other roosters I would end up with.

I'm not sure if your question is on general mixing of breeds or in the mixing of the breeds you have. I can tell you that I have a flock of 12 different birds (also from Meyer): BJG, Orpingtons (3 different); EE, OE, Barnevelder, RIR, Barred Rock, Austra White, Light Brahma, and a Crested Cream Legbar and all generally get along (minor squabbles/pecking order) - my BJG is at the top and I do think "she" is a roo. Given the current events in our country/world, I think we all need to #belikechickens

Last edited:
I have a flock of 19 and I have 2 lavender Orpingtons and one Buff Orpington, 1 SLW and 1 GLW. The rest are each different breeds. They do fine as long as there is food and water and they have all their necessities.

From what I understand, the only problem you might have is if you have one that really stands out from the rest, like a Polish because of the crest. Difference invites investigation, i.e. poking at. Other than that, probably no problem.

I agree with Eggscaping, they can sometimes have that problem. Mine don’t, but I know some people do run into that situation.

Back
Top Bottom