Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics
LF Leghorn rooster over an old english game bantam hen (yes, ouch, poor mama. This wasn't a planned breeding, the hen just showed up from the woods one day with a bunch of chicks, and he was the only candidate for the father). She's about 3 lbs and lays a tinted, almost white egg. She's extremely broody.

These are from the above hen crossed with a LF silver laced wyandotte rooster (another accident, like mother, like daughter)

Good looking hen.What color was the leghorn and what color was the old english?

Good looking hen.What color was the leghorn and what color was the old english?
Leghorn was white. Hen was mixed color (the brown one in front, similar bbr but not dark enough overall). Not very sure where the almost crele coloration came from in the hen. Once upon a time, I had wheaten, silver duckwing, and splash oegb. They were my first birds 11 years ago. They interbred, created a few interesting colors, now I'm out of breeding them. I kept 2 hens for broodies. One hen, the white one, is 7 years old and is the mother to the other one, who is 5 years old. Here's a picture of the three generations. All 3 are fabulous broodies, and my old girls still lay eggs.

and actually, the bantams bred again, this time with my nice quality silkie rooster. Not sure how that happened, maybe while they were all freeranging during their daily times, as I never actually witnessed it. I noticed the eggs of the bantams had the bullseye again, so I was dying to incubate to see who the father was this time. It was obvious upon hatch, with the feathered feet and 5 toes. Super cute babies. Destined to be megabroodies as well
wink.png
I hatched from each hen. Chick on left is from the white hen, chick on right is from the brownish hen. Super interested to see their coloration.

Size comparison to a pure silkie chick. They're so tiny.

Last edited:
This is Snow. She is a Light Brahma Roo X Buff Orpington. Her sister looks more like a light brahma without feathered legs. There was two roos that looked exactly like light brahmas as well, but they are in the freezer now.

I didn't take pics but I had a Golden Laced Wyandotte that hatched a dozen chicks. Each one is the shape of her (compact and petite), but the color of whatever roo she mated. So some are black (austrlorp) and some barred (barred rock). They all have single combs too. Fun thread!!

This is great! I am so excited to make the same cross in the Spring. I adore my big Light Brahma roo, and want to breed him to each of my different types of hens (eventually!) but my lovely BOrp is my top choice! Did you get docile birds, and did your hens lay big eggs?

Last edited:
Has anyone found that Blue seems to be a fairly dominant color? And that patterns (speckled, laced) seem to disappear when confronted with solid colors?

I'm getting ready to post some photos, so just be aware of that!

Back
Top Bottom