mixed breed with silkie feathers??

teravolt217

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
one of my hens just recently hatched five babies, and two of them seem to be growing silkie feathers! the only thing is, ive heard that mixed breed silkies only ever get the straight feather gene and i only have one chicken with the silkie feathers. i do have other silkies but those all have normal feathers. so does that mean that mixed breed silkies can get fluffy feathers?

heres a picture of one of them, sorry its a bit hard to see

edit: nevermind i figured it out, id just completely forgotten how recessive genes worked

Attachments

• 20181212_173428.jpg
    20181212_173428.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
From what I’m seeing, that little guy is a chick and doesn’t have many feathers yet only fuzz which all chicks have. I’d wait a little bit longer before assuming that it has the silkie feathers. I have been raising silkies for about 1 1/2 years and they feather differently than other chickens. When they start developing actual feathers, they look like average chickens. At about 4 weeks old is when you can really tell if it has silkie in it. Good luck!

i got some better pictures of both the chicks today, and their feathers have grown out a bit more too so its easier to see now

here are picture of both chickies
20181215_122159.jpg

20181215_122203.jpg

and one with a silkie and straight feathered chick for comparison
20181215_122217.jpg

theyre feathers are definitely a lot different from the other chickies! im super excited about these little ones since i had only had one fluffy silkie left until now

Back
Top Bottom