.Mixed breeds of various egg coloring question

PaintedPony

Songster
11 Years
Dec 4, 2008
I have read that brown coloring on eggs is dominant over blue or green. If I breed my EE hens to my BO rooster, or my Hamburg rooster, what are my odds of maintaining the green egg coloring in the offspring?

I am learning how to incubate eggs so I am starting with the chickens I have available.

TIA

As a side note, since you have EEs, they may already carry 1 brown gene and 1 blue gene. In this case, offspring of them and brown egg layers may produce hens that lay brown or hens that lay blue/green. Just for example, I saved 2 hens that were from my EE roo and Silkie hen. 1 of them lays tan (like her momma) and the other lays blue.

There is ONE gene that determines whether the eggshell will be WHITE (recessive) or BLUE (dominant). There are MANY additional genes that determine whether a brown coating is applied to the outer surface of the eggshell or not. EACH of these genes can be homozygous (two identical copies) or heterozygous (different variations of the gene).

Quote:
I do not know the specific genotype of your birds, so I have posted the possibilities.

Bo X EE = brown or green eggs both are possible

Ham X EE= light brown or green or blue or white what you get depends on if the bird lays a blue egg or green egg

white egg X green egg = green egg or light brown egg

white egg X blue egg = white egg or blue egg

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom