Mixed brown layers

Romoshka

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Clemson, SC
Bought 25 mixed brown layers from a hatchery. I'm rather new to chickens...only 3years...and only blk Australorps. Since my primary objective is eggs for consumption and sale I only got these for a little variety on our lil farm but now would really like to know what they all are. Was guaranteed at least 5 different breeds and that's what we got. Pullets are now about 10 weeks old. Pure white ones I assume are leghorns but the others...?

The first image shows one of the larger brown birds. 2nd photo shows one of the smaller brown birds. Smaller birds have some white feathers. Larger bids have some black feathers.

Have 2 other similar birds shown in photo 1 and 3. The first photo shows a more reddish coloration - the 3rd photo shows similar bird but more black in color.

First picture looks like production red or New Hampshire and partridge rock? pullets. Small picture may be a red sex link. Third picture is probably a partridge rock cockerel.
hide.gif

Ok, now this new flock is mature. In the above the 2 pictures of the reddish hens are the ones im interested in identifying. The picturescare not clear so let me try to describe the differences. One is much larger/heavier and has black tipped tail feathers and black tipped feathers on the the neck. The other similar bird has white tipped feathers on neck and tail feathers with whitish breast feathers. This mixed flock was an experiment and im very interested in the larger bird. The heavier body makes it look like a superior dual purpose bird compared to the black australorps I've had. I know descriptions are poor in comparison to puctures so I will add photos tonight

Ok, here are 2 pics of the hens I'd really like to identify. Again, they are larger and meater than my Australorps. They are very gentle and even tempered not so flighty and nervous as the Australorps. The head shot doesn't show the black tipped neck feathers as well as i thought it did. The tail shot shows the black tipped tail feathers pretty well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What hatchery did they come from? My thought on the big red girls is some type of red or slow broiler, or something like a Dixie Rainbow or Pioneer.

Thought I had posted this reply but I don't see it in the thread so here goes...again. Since first starting this thread back on 7/3/14 I had figured that leghorns lay white eggs and have determined that my white birds are Rhode Island whites.

After donrae's post above I went hunting data/information and am now certain that the big birds are indeed Pioneer, also known as Dixie or Rainbow Dixie. Thank you donrae! These are fast developing, heavy/meaty birds that lay 280-300 eggs/year, are docile/even tempered and seem, to me based on what I've now read about them, to be the idea dual purpose homestead bird but I've never seen this bred mentioned in any dual-purpose/homesteading articles.

Since so many have been so helpful perhaps I can get some help in identifying the rest of this flock. Having identified the Pioneer and the Rhode Island whites there are 3 more breeds. While my interest is purely academic others may benefit from this exercise so I'll post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom