Mixed Flock and Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hwxeper, Jan 18, 2011.

1. hwxeper

hwxeper Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2011
    Madisonville
    I am a little confused when it comes to mixed flocks. I have seen many pictures where members have multiple breeeds of chickens within a flock and multiple breeds of roos. How do you keep the chickens from cross-breeding? Is there a secret to this I haven't picked up on? For example, if I were going to have a mixed flock of dominiques, orpingtons, and dorkings, for the purposes of this thread it will be a rather large flock, and I wanted to breed each of these breeds true...how would I go about making sure of that?
    I hope my question makes sense! I will try to rephrase if it doesn't.
    Thanks!

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    you put them in different pens

if you run one type with another you will get mixes...

3. hwxeper

Jan 18, 2011
    Madisonville
    Thanks! I am not as slow as some of my questions might lead one to believe! Just starting from scratch. What about keeping bantam breeds with standard ones? Is that a no-no?

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    I have a large, mixed breed flock with several roos. When I want a particular mating, I separate the back 1/2 or 1/4 of my coop with heavy deer netting and lock in the particular roo and hens that I want to breed. I wait 14 days before I collect the eggs for the incubator (collect the earlier ones to eat!), then you are usually assured the locked up roo is the daddy. My chickens free range all daylight hours so when they get locked up they are not too happy for the first few days but then settle down and accept home........When I let them loose again I have had no problems with them getting along again with the rest of the flock.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I can't afford, and much less get the guys to build me 20+ different coops so it's kind of a "Must" for me. I get some "Purebred" chicks such as Buff Orpingtons or EE every once in a while, but most of the time they're all cute lil' mixes.

6. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I read that hens can hold sperm up to 30 days, wouldn't you need to keep the hens separated for at least that long, then introduce the rooster for them to breed true?

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    AllCoop'dUp :

I read that hens can hold sperm up to 30 days, wouldn't you need to keep the hens separated for at least that long, then introduce the rooster for them to breed true?

Yes, 14 days isn't long enough, you might still be getting mixes.​

8. hwxeper

Jan 18, 2011
    Madisonville
    Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! It makes alot more sense now.
    Chicken paradise is getting clearer and clearer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by