Mixed flock, but mixed with what? -Pic Heavy-

King... I'll try to get some new shots... but the biggest change is in general size, which doesn't reflect well on pics, I think the biggest change will be visible after their first molt

Puddin.... the Favorelle was mentioned before and I found some pics that make me agree that he is probably a mix with a lot of the Fav in his background... the lady who we got him
from didn't have any idea.
I am not seeing Faverolles or Brahma to be honest. I can see why you'd think Faverolles because of the color, but a Faverolles cross will have 5 toes and a beard and puffy cheeks out at least 2 generations. It looks like yours has clean legs and 4 toes. No hint of beard or cheeks. Pictures to clarify will follow.

Last edited:

Here is a picture of a few of my mixed cocks. The one on the left is from a Welsummer hen and a Cream Columbian colored mixed roo (1/2 Light Brahma and 1/2 Red Sex-link). I think he is actually fairly close to your guy in question. He has a little feathering on his legs from the 1/4 Brahma. SO any breed combo with a BBR or maybe Partridge or Wheaten color as one half and maybe some columbian colored other breed might yield a cock similar to yours.

The Columbian is from the same roo and a LB hen. Almost out of the shot you can see the head of a 1/2 Faverolles boy. Very puffy cheeks and beard and most definietly has 5 toes.

Last edited:
dretd... thanks for the info and pics...
Napolean has 4 toes, with a nub at the base of one which at some generation may have been the polydactyl trait, but it didn't show through on him, he does have light feathering on his legs.

a couple of the other mixes I got from the same lady are polydactyl with light feathering also... unknown if it's because they are related or a coincidence because she happened to have picked out a variety of feather legged mixes.
He's a good little roo though, no matter what he is a mix of.

King.... a couple of pics, a little bit of difference...

Sorry the lighting isn't the best, the coop isn't the best for pics with the reflective walls, so true colors are a challenge and I'm not camera savvy enough to overcome it yet.
I'm sure I'll get better ones through the spring, and hopefully can catch the 2 of them close together and near something to give them some size perspective.

They look good! And all grown up :) Mr. Greenjeans has the most amazing color! The lighting is fine and I don't need a point of reference to see that Grayson is a BIG boy.

I'd agree on choosing the roo for temperment. In a back yard flock, that's the most important thing!
Greyson looks to have some barring, so you could get partial barred chicks. That's a fun thing to play around with, seeing who is barred and to what extent.
The combs on both your big guys show straight comb mixed with pea or rose comb, that's what makes them so funky.

I agree, I'm seeing lots of easter egger influence in a flock that looks like it's been allowed to "barnyard mix' for at least two generations. As mentioned, something tophatted like a polish got in there sometime. The set of Nap's wing makes me thing game bird, but nothing else about him does--wrong shape, everything.

I think it's a great flock, and think you'll have some pretty babies next year. Nice layers, and cockerels big enough to be worth your while to raise and butcher.

Cowgirl... yes, I like broody!!!! Actually it was part of the reason I got those tufted girls from that other lady... one that isn't shown is a hatchery quality (or maybe even a bit of a mutt) silky and I was hoping she'd be broody....well, she is, the darned girl is now keeping a nest warm till we get her eggs (Australorp and Barred Rock eggs due to be delivered this weekend)
The orpingtons are a breed I planned to include in the flock in the future, maybe later this year if I can, but no eggs were available when I ordered the ones for the broody. I think a BO crossed with Grayson could produce a beautiful bird!

Thanks King!

Quote:

thanks donrae, I'm hoping for exactly that!
fl.gif

Mr. Greenjeans is very beautiful. He looks like he has golden laced wyandotte in him.
Mixed with what else I don't know cause he has a different comb. Here's a pic of our golden laced wyandotte roo to compare.

Back
Top Bottom