Mixed flock feed suggestions?

Anabariful

Songster
Apr 25, 2017
Beautiful Ohio
Hello all :frow

I have a pretty diverse flock and was wondering if there was a "one feed for all" available?

My flock consists of:

4 hens & 2 roosters (6 months old)

2 ducks (6 months old)

3 ducklings (8 weeks old)

4 bantams (6 weeks old)

4 turkeys (5 weeks old)

2 goslings (5 weeks old)

3 guineas (4 months old)

Now, obviously the ity bitys will be fed their specific feeds i.e. the turkeys will get gamebird starter. I'm just curious if when they and the others get to the 10 week mark, if there even is a one for all feed to simplify things. They all get a nice big pan of greens, grains, fruit, etc.

Also, could someone explain the difference between grit, oyster shells, and the third kind (I believe it's some kind of rock?) Is grit fit for everyone for their lifetimes or should I be adding the oyster shells at special times like broody?

Unfortunately my local TSC doesn't have much of a selection. :( We have DuMor, Purina, and the really small bags of Mana Pro that's almost $8 for a 5lb bag. :( I am located in Southwest Ohio if anyone has any suggestions?

Yes...some feed companies sell something called ALL FLOCk.

Grit is needed for any bird that eat anything besides feed (store bought complete feed) it helps to grind up the their food. (including free range, IMO, because you may not have the correct "wild" grit available in your soil.
Grit it the "some kind of rock"

Oyster shell is extra calcium for layers.

Both should never be mixed with feed, offered on the side.

I do not know about what to feed them all because I only have chickens. I can explain oyster shell and grit though. Oyster shell should be provided in the side free choice to all birds that are laying. Once they begin laying they can eat the oyster shell for calcium to make egg shells. Grit should be provided to all ages of birds, but at different sizes. Grit is granite peices small enough for the bird to injest and generally come in two sizes, chick, and standard. The grit is swallowed and when it reaches the gizzard of the bird, it acts as teeth, breaking up the food the bird eats. Both are needed for good health. Although birds can usually find grit on their own terms, I provide it to mine just in case. :) if you have any more questions I will do my best to answer.

@Anabariful
Chick Grit, small granite pebbles. Poultry Grit, larger granite pebbles/To aid in digestion of whole grains and fibrous foods.
Oyster Shell and crushed limestone/A calcium source, to help build strong eggshells.
Offer separately, so chickens can choose, to suit their needs. GC

Bonus points for an organic or non-gmo feed? Or possibly a mill around to mix my own?

I do have a Rowe's feed dealer within an hours distance I could go to. I was looking up Mazuri but it's crazy expensive. :( Anything (preferably much less) under $25 for a 50lb bag? ;)

Yes...some feed companies sell something called ALL FLOCk.

Grit is needed for any bird that eat anything besides feed (store bought complete feed) it helps to grind up the their food. (including free range, IMO, because you may not have the correct "wild" grit available in your soil.
Grit it the "some kind of rock"

Oyster shell is extra calcium for layers.

Both should never be mixed with feed, offered on the side.

Would Purina Flock Raiser crumbles be alright?

Can I mix oyster shells and grit in a pan on the side?

I do not know about what to feed them all because I only have chickens. I can explain oyster shell and grit though. Oyster shell should be provided in the side free choice to all birds that are laying. Once they begin laying they can eat the oyster shell for calcium to make egg shells. Grit should be provided to all ages of birds, but at different sizes. Grit is granite peices small enough for the bird to injest and generally come in two sizes, chick, and standard. The grit is swallowed and when it reaches the gizzard of the bird, it acts as teeth, breaking up the food the bird eats. Both are needed for good health. Although birds can usually find grit on their own terms, I provide it to mine just in case. :) if you have any more questions I will do my best to answer.
Thank you for the response! :)

Back
Top Bottom